Relationships Between Value and Design Elements in Watercolor

Composition and Design

People can create or compose in many ways:

  • Painting
  • Music
  • Dance
  • Writing Papers or Speeches
  • Floral pieces
  • Architectural Buildings
  • Scenes on Stage or in Film
  • A Plate of Food
  • Clothing/Fashion

It occurred to me awhile back that in every Painting I desire to use elements and colors which accentuate and support the Center of Interest.

A Center of Interest is like the Protagonist in a book, Key Points in a Speech, the Melody Line in Music, or the Lead Actor in a play, or Lead Dancer in a dance routine.

Each leading role also has supporting elements. For a painting, these are colors and values which do not dominate or overtake those of the Center of Interest.

These value and color changes must be distinct enough from other elements to create a separation, but also similar enough to create Harmony.

In Painting, you use value and color tone to bring elements forward or backward, to the eye.

I tell my students that each painting, needs at least six different tonal values when completed. These different value changes create a strong painting which has depth. You can walk into the scene.

The painting progression in this blog shows how I slowly layered many different transparent washes over another below it, to create the mountains, trees and lake, leaving the sailboat as the lightest object, so that it stands out.


This was my second attempt at this same scene, I needed to repaint it slightly smaller, in order to fit the painting into the frame. I enjoyed the process of painting it a second time!

I noticed again as I painted how there are real relationships in paintings, between layers and colors. This is due to watercolor's transparent and translucent nature. Each wash is influenced by the previous one.

You can't see this aspect as much with oil and acrylic because they are opaque medias – and the artist can totally COVER paint that has been put down previously, if desired.

With Watercolor, you can see your “history”. Each layer has meaning and purpose.


Relationships in Life


As usual, I applied what I was seeing in my painting to Life.

I know the myriad decisions I make on a daily basis are often colored by past decisions, thoughts and actions.

My relationships with people around me is often supportive, but not always. Sometimes I focus on my own projects, sometimes on helping others. There is a balance to it.

I notice how when I change direction or make new decisions in life, others often either react or need to respond differently to me, just as when I paint I have to adjust values around what I've just put down.

There are times when my relationships with others seem stagnant, lacking vibrancy and growth. Other times there is connection and communication that is electric! Perhaps this is like “painting with complementary colors.”

Sometimes just small changes in attitude or vocal pattern can cause another to “move” and change for the better. I see this with my little nieces. They need to be cajoled, to some degree.


Building Good Character as you Paint


Watercolor requires applying Boldness, to paint when it's scary. To try again if a wash isn't dark enough.

Yet also Sensitivity, Gentleness and Attention to detail.

Determination is also needed. I nearly stopped before gaining just the right values at the end of this painting, “Luminous Sails II”.

The Artist's job is to help the “Center of Interest” shine!

I desired to make the sailboat sails (my “center of interest”) stand out from the sky and lake. This meant continuing to add thin layers to the sky with a soft brush.

Correspondingly in life, we are not the “Center of Interest” - this is the role of our Creator. Our lives were masterfully designed to focus on loving, worshiping and praising His glory. We are His Body, His Bride and His Loved Children. As such, we support the Head, which is Christ the LORD, the Bridegroom, and our Father in heaven.

How can I live to make Christ and His truth shine? How does my life and lips, actions and attitudes give Him glory?


Using Color Effectively


In visual art you can accomplish this accentuation using clear and grayed tones of color. For example, the sailboat in this piece is the lightest value. It is also a clear color.

Grayed tones recede while clear tones come forward. Purple recedes while yellow comes forward. Grayed purple recedes even more with clear yellow tones coming forward.

I choose a color palette at the beginning of a painting, and then I stick to using those colors.

I used the same red in the sky color as I did in the lake color. This helps add harmony. If I were to suddenly stick in a new color in ONE place in the painting, it would stand out and not look like it belonged.

There are a few times I've used this knowledge to make something especially stand out, but generally, it's best to mix the same color pigment everywhere you can, even if only slightly and faintly!



Using Value Effectively


You can paint a value study using only ONE color. It's actually quite a good exercise. You can add a second color, and then a third. I've painted entire paintings with just three pigment colors. Sometimes I use ten pigments. It depends on what I'm going for.

Too many competing flavors tend to ruin a dish of food. While Indian cuisine masterfully combines things which taste sweet, salty, sour, bitter and pungent at every meal to great affect, sometimes eliminating and finding Simplicity in a painting is helpful, too!

Trying to paint the darkest dark and the lightest light in the area of the Center of Interest is helpful to remember. It draws the eye to this place in the piece.

Usually what is far away is lighter in value. What is closer is darker in value. This happens in nature due to atmospheric conditions. There are probably some exceptions to this “rule” but it's good to remember.



Maintaining Focus Until the End


Many years ago, my mother learned during her natural childbirth classes that the brain can only focus on ONE strong stimuli at a time.

She would repeat this to me and my siblings, and I have seen this is true in painting.

While working recently on an acrylic piece, I was SO intent on gaining just the right color mix that I couldn't seem to do or think of anything else!

Perhaps it was because I was tired, a bit cold, and had been at work for several hours.

I'd been painting outside at an easel for hours on a cold Spring day and began to feel my nose dripping. I knew it needed to be wiped, but was too intent on my colors to wipe it! It was a strange sensation of need but also not wanting to be distracted from my color mixing!

Sometimes I paint while listening to people teaching or talking – sermons and podcasts. Recently, I've painted while listening to beautiful music. Just the right music helps. When I'm tired, very quick pieces don't help. But when I get to the end of a painting, and it's going well, I begin to dance and rejoice with my brush!

With every painting, with every year of life, there is usually a time when all seems lost. It's darkest before the dawn. Don't give up, learn the lesson the piece was meant to teach you, and move on! Keep painting. Keep in healthy relationship with others. Try again.

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.” ~ Hebrews 12:2

Even when it's not the painting that goes south - it may be the varnish, there is always something new to learn and take on to another day of relationships with people and paint.

Our Father makes good endings of His Designs. He makes no mistakes in the details. So we can trust Him, the Master Potter.

Your painting-friend,

Elise


Luminous Sails II by Elise, 14x24 watercolor, 2019


Give unto the Lord, O ye mighty,

give unto the Lord glory and strength.

Give unto the Lord the glory due unto his name;

worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.

The voice of the Lord is upon the waters:

the God of glory thundereth:

the Lord is upon many waters.

The voice of the Lord is powerful;

the voice of the Lord is full of majesty.

The voice of the Lord breaketh the cedars;

yea, the Lord breaketh the cedars of Lebanon.

He maketh them also to skip like a calf;

Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.

The voice of the Lord divideth the flames of fire.

The voice of the Lord shaketh the wilderness;

the Lord shaketh the wilderness of Kadesh.

The voice of the Lord maketh the hinds to calve,

and discovereth the forests:

and in his temple doth every one speak of his glory.

The Lord sitteth upon the flood;

yea, the Lord sitteth King for ever.

The Lord will give strength unto his people;

the Lord will bless his people with peace.


~ Psalm 29



Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? 
Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, 
Why hast thou made me thus? 
~ Romans 9:20



And I will give thee the treasures of darkness, and hidden riches of secret places, that thou mayest know that I, the Lord, which call thee by thy name, am the God of Israel. For Jacob my servant's sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have surnamed thee, though thou hast not known me. I am the Lord, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me: That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the Lord, and there is none else. I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things. Drop down, ye heavens, from above, and let the skies pour down righteousness: let the earth open, and let them bring forth salvation, and let righteousness spring up together; I the Lord have created it.


Woe unto him that striveth with his Maker! Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth. Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou? or thy work, He hath no hands? Woe unto him that saith unto his father, What begettest thou? or to the woman, What hast thou brought forth?


Thus saith the Lord, the Holy One of Israel, and his Maker, Ask me of things to come concerning my sons, and concerning the work of my hands command ye me.  I have made the earth, and created man upon it: I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens, and all their host have I commanded. I have raised him up in righteousness, and I will direct all his ways: he shall build my city, and he shall let go my captives, not for price nor reward, saith the Lord of hosts. 


~ Isaiah 45:3-13











Blogger Template by Clairvo