Good Books I've Been Reading






The New Testament – J.B. Phillips version

For the past two years I read four-five chapters of the KJV Bible daily, using Robert Murray M'Cheynes excellent system, which begins in four books: Genesis, Ezra, Matthew and Acts. I really enjoyed the way the different sections fit together, giving new insights.

However, after two years, I felt I was “choking” and trying to consume too much “food” on a daily basis.



So, this year I decided to just read slowly through J.B. Phillips version of the New Testament. I'm reading only ONE chapter a day now, which has given me time to do my loved word studies again, in places which catch my attention and interest!





Orley Farm by Anthony Trollope

I finished Orley Farm recently, after about four months of reading sporadically as I had time. It's a long novel, written in 1862, back when novels encouraged morality, not immorality. It was interesting to read how simliar the English courts of law were at that time, to our courts today. The author of this book, Anthony Trollope, must have observed people very closely, for he makes some excellent observations about relationships. Dating did not exist in 1862. When a man took interest in a woman, he spoke to her parents, and offered her “his hand” in marriage – it was more straight-forward and honest, I think, than what happens today. Intentions were clearly known and understood.

This book contains some amazing insights into different kinds of relationships. It shows how people really desired to maintain a good name and reputation. Losing a good name meant terrible things for entire families.





Dove by Robin Lee Graham with Derek L.T. Gill

Dove was sent to me by my sister last year, as a gift. Sailing is in our blood, our great-grandfather having sailed around the world on a three-masted schooner in the late 1800's. I like going adventuring through books. While sailing alone sounds pretty lonely, this book makes one want to go to sea, for real, and stay away awhile. Since reading the book, I learned online that author Robin Graham's marriage lasted, and he became a land-lubber who builds houses.





Rees Howells Intercessor by Norman Grubb

I reread some of the ending chapters of Rees Howells Intercessor a few weeks ago. It greatly encouraged me, seeing how he lived regularly by faith, having no steady increase. He would pray, gain direction, and then make offers on properties – while having NO cash on hand, just knowing he'd heard clearly from the Lord!

Someone once asked him, “How do you recognize the LORD's voice?” He replied, “How do you recognize your mother's voice?”

Shortly thereafter, I set off for NYC in March traveling by “a thread” with $135 in spending money in my pocket. I arrived home three weeks later with $145 – $10 more than what I had when I'd left home! Now that is what I call a miracle. It was a really blessed three weeks. I attended seven prayer gatherings; five art galleries or exhibits; and doors of opportunity were opened to me! 

Somehow, I feel my life just changed, and will never really be the same!

I didn't know much about Intercessory Prayer before reading this book. Rees would pray for poor people, and then only eat two meals a day - putting himself in the position of someone who doesn't have enough money to eat three meals a day.

When he prayed for a woman with tuberculosis, he gained the symptoms of having bad lungs! Again, he put himself in the place of the one he felt called to pray for, and suffered with them. And they were often healed!

I gave this book to a friend last summer, and she re-dedicated her life to the Lord after reading it. I highly recommend it to anyone!





How to Be Filled with the Holy Spirit by A.W. Tozer

A.W. Tozer's writings have been influencing me for years now. This book, How to Be Filled with the Holy Spirit is a collection of four sermons he gave on the Holy Spirit.

He says the older he gets, the more he reads of the Bible, and less books about the Bible.

Tozer says the Holy Spirit's presence can be “cultivated” - just as any other person's presence can be.

We are to be engrossed with honoring Jesus Christ. “If any man serve me, him will my Father honor.” John 12:26.

And walk in Righteousness.

And keep our thoughts a clean sanctuary. Tozer says, “To God, our thoughts are things”.

Know Him in the Word - through meditating on it.

Cultivate the art of recognizing the presence of the Spirit everywhere.”





Marriage Covenant
The Biblical Secret for a Love That Lasts
by Derek Prince

Derek Prince's books have also been influencing my thinking for a long time. In this book, he says we are not only in covenant with a spouse, if married, but we are also called as Christians to be in covenant with God's People and with God Himself.

Land titles used to say, “to have and to hold, from this day forward” - very similar to a traditional wedding covenant.

Because covenants differ from contracts, I like to learn all I can about them. I will need to reread this little book, it was good but I can't really remember more than that!

For thy Maker is thine husband; the Lord of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called." ~ Isaiah 54:5

I do know, from my own study, when God says He is our “husband” here, He means to "marry, rule over, possess, own", in Hebrew. 

Being owned by anyone bothers some people, but to me it is a comfort. For God takes good care of His possessions! It is a sign of our safety and His devoted care, to be husbanded by someone perfect! Someone who first initiated covenants, so He knows all about them. 

Unlike a Contract, based on distrust and limited liability, which can be broken by one or more parties, a Biblical Covenant is Unbreakable, built on Trust and Unlimited Responsibility. 

I trust the Dependability of our Father in Heaven implicitly, for He is completely trustworthy!






Biblical Psychology
A Treasure-chest for Christian Counsellors
by Oswald Chambers

Biblical Psychology is the book I carried around for years, in case I had a spare moment to read something. I finally finished reading it, after starting over more than once. It's now out-of-print and so I wish I'd left it home. It's an excellent little book, describing Oswald's thoughts on the difference between the Spirit and Soul, and many other insightful gems.





Keeping the Sabbath Wholly
by Marva J. Dawn

Keeping the Sabbath Wholly by Marva J. Dawn is a great book, too. She speaks about how we can better revere God's Holy Day, by truly ceasing from work in every way, resting from all types of labor, embracing, and feasting.

She gives examples from her own life.

I find setting aside a regular day each week for rest is so important to resetting my body, mind and spirit. I look forward to resting and communing with others, and the renewing you feel is a big key to maintaining spiritual, mental and physical health!

I especially like what Marva said about “embracing intentionality.” Making special meals, dressing with extra care, and thinking of ways to enjoy fellowship with others, beauty and God's creation on this day!

I'm grateful for all of my Seventh-Day Adventist friends, who I worshipped with for three months when I lived in New Jersey, eight years ago!

The Sabbath Rest is Beautiful. We can thankfully enter the Rest of Christ on a daily basis, for He became and is that Rest and that Peace, on our behalf!





Breaking Bread
The Spiritual Significance of Food
by Sara Covin Juengst

I first read Breaking Bread by Sara Covin Juengst about thirty years ago...I was reminded of it and bought it again through ABE books for less than $4.

From my experience, Hospitality – inviting strangers and friends into your home - is one of the most powerful life-changers for bonding people together.

I love how our Father uses food to show love, and to help family, friends and strangers unite and understand one another better!

If you enjoy hosting guests, or want ideas to do it better, this is a very good book.

_____________________


I've been thinking, writing and resting after recently living a whirlwind “social life” for three weeks in bustling NYC. 

Happy Spring everyone!

Your friend on a dirt back road in Vermont,

Elise



Books are good company, in sad times and happy times, 

for books are people – people who have managed to stay alive 

by hiding between the covers of a book.” ~ E.B. White


Of course anyone who truly loves books buys more of them than he or she can hope to read in one fleeting lifetime. A good book, resting unopened in its slot on a shelf, full of majestic potentiality, is the most comforting sort of intellectual wallpaper.” 

~ David Quammen


The reading of all good books is like conversation 

with the finest (people) of the past centuries.” ~ Descartes


Does it sound like we’re patting ourselves on the back, insisting on our credentials, asserting our authority? Well, we’re not. Neither do we need letters of endorsement, either to you or from you. You yourselves are all the endorsement we need. Your very lives are a letter that anyone can read by just looking at you. Christ himself wrote it—not with ink, but with God’s living Spirit; not chiseled into stone, but carved into human lives—and we publish it. ~ II Corinthians 3:1-3 (The Message)


May the mind of Christ, my Savior,
Live in me from day to day,
By His love and pow’r controlling
All I do and say.


May the Word of God dwell richly
In my heart from hour to hour,
So that all may see I triumph
Only through His pow’r.


May the peace of God my Father
Rule my life in everything,
That I may be calm to comfort
Sick and sorrowing.


May the love of Jesus fill me
As the waters fill the sea;
Him exalting, self abasing,
This is victory.


May I run the race before me,
Strong and brave to face the foe,
Looking only unto Jesus
As I onward go.


May His beauty rest upon me,
As I seek the lost to win,
And may they forget the channel,
Seeing only Him.


~ Kate B. Wilkinson, before 1913




Blogger Template by Clairvo