How to Paint Cats with Watercolor

Painting cats realistically with watercolor requires a good foundation in first the pencil drawing; then in mixing slightly different shades of color; and in knowing how to layer paint, to gain deepening values – light to dark.

It's helpful to have a small size 2 rigger brush for painting detail around fine hairs and whiskers, I also used a soft-haired 1/4-inch flat brush, and a size 12 round brush for the background.

Clyde's Whiskers 5x7 watercolor painting by Elise, October 2019

My palette for Clyde's Whiskers was “large” - seven pigments - six were W&N professional grade: Aureolin yellow, Opera pink (Holbein brand), Light Red, Antwerp Blue, French Ultramarine Blue, Van Dyke Brown, and Burnt Umber.

After decades of sketching from life and from photos, or scaling photos with a large yard stick, I now use graphite on the rear of a photocopy, and trace over the top with a pen, leaving me the pencil marks underneath.

It is a painter's “trick of the trade” which saves me an enormous amount of needless eyestrain and helps the animal's face quickly appear in proportion as well as gain correct feature placement.

I call this method “cheating” but due to my strained eyes, I feel it is helpful.

Once the drawing is ready, I began Clyde's portrait by painting in his darker fur above his eyes.


While I was taught to paint strictly “light to dark” with watercolor, I have learned there are times when “breaking rules” can lead to a very positive outcome. The letter of any “law” kills, but the Spirit gives life!

I was trying to preserve as much of the fur details, before paint covered the pencil marks.

I did not use ANY masking fluid or tape on the whiskers, to preserve them – I just painted around them. I was using old 300 lb Arches Hot Press paper.


The second stage was adding in the background. I felt the piece looked pretty bad after this stage, but I hoped it could all be “resurrected” with a little more work, which proved to be the case!

Most paintings come to this “ruined” or “ugly” stage, and like in life, you must continue to work through these times, and not give up or jump ship, no matter how tempting that option becomes.


During the third stage/hour and day of this four-day, five-hour small 5x7 piece, I darkened everything.

I hadn't painted all that much for a long while due to some caregiving work, and so was having some difficulty concentrating. I also had a very swollen foot. I painted as long as I felt able, then left the rest for another day.

I left the piece for a couple days, before working another hour on it, as I was uncertain darkening Clyde's face would help the piece, because the background was already so dark.

I finally decided to put in more color into his fur, glazing on top of what I'd already painted, to good effect.

Fourth and Final Stage, Clyde's Whiskers

The final piece looked just like Clyde, who I lived with for four months!

Since Bonnie and Clyde had both been rescued by their current owner from an animal shelter when they were half-feral cats, I chose this verse for Clyde's small portrait:

God setteth the solitary in families: he bringeth out those which are bound with chains: ~ Psalm 68:6a


Clyde's sister, Bonnie, was next. Having a good quality, high detail photo really helps me paint realism. I had painted Bonnie from a blurry photos, and was not happy with the finished piece, so this was my second attempt.

After gaining the traced drawing, I then painted in some light paint layers. I used a slightly different palette, including Windsor Yellow because it is a cool yellow, and Raw Sienna, Opera, Antwerp, French Ultramarine, Brown Madder, Van Dyke Brown and Burnt Umber.



I painted around the light areas I wanted to save. Bonnie was sitting in the sunshine, on her afternoon back-of-the-couch perch, on a sheet. The sun came in through the bushes and trees outside, making shadows around her.


I chose to accentuate Bonnie the Cat, see below, leaving the background lighter than it really was.

As in life itself, any progress usually happened slowly, as I steadily focused on different places around the painting, deepening colors and heightening contrast.


Bonnie's fur took on the blueish cast from the window shades and the color of the couch cover on which she was lying.

I felt she could have been pushed slightly further in detail, but left this portrait where it is. Her main features are distinct, leaving other details less in focus.

Here is the completed and signed 5x7 watercolor portrait of Bonnie in the Sun:

Bonnie in the Sun, 5x7 watercolor painting by Elise, October 2019


It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late,to eat the bread of sorrows:for so he giveth his beloved sleep. ~ Psalm 127:2


When painting fur hairs, it's important to stroke in the same direction as the hair grows, lifting the tip of the brush just slightly, as you finish each stroke.

I grew up with cats, many cats...and have had my heart broken many times when certain ones didn't return home, probably eaten by wild animals.

Loving an animal or people means you invest in their well-being, and when you know a pet well, you learn their language.

I hope this blog helps beginning watercolor artists learn more about how to depict your or another's pet with accuracy and emotion!

Please feel free to contact me for a price list if you would your cat's portrait painted.

Most sincerely, your painting-friend,

Elise


A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast ~ Proverbs 12:10a




Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies.
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand, dare seize the fire?

And what shoulder, & what art,
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand? & what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain,
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp,
Dare its deadly terrors clasp!

When the stars threw down their spears
And water'd heaven with their tears:
Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

Tyger Tyger burning bright,
In the forests of the night:
What immortal hand or eye,
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

The Tyger
by William Blake






Blogger Template by Clairvo