What the Wilderness Can Do


Most children don't decide where they are going to live. Their parents or guardians make this decision for them.

Some children move around a lot. I've met people who moved many, many times in their early years, before graduating from high school.

Other people have more stable homes, “roots” in a community, and a real physical place they can call their “hometown”.

My own parents decided to leave suburbia and go “back to the land” in the late 1970's.

They were not hippies, they didn't do drugs. They were city-born, college-educated professionals, who desired their children would know more than they did about nature and growing food.

Consequently, many of my most important memories were created in the middle of a literal wilderness, where I primarily lived for the next thirty years.

A forest of over 600 acres surrounded our home. We lived eight miles from town, half-way up a mountain, on a dead-end dirt road.

Black Bear, Moose, Deer, Coyotes, Bobcat, Red Fox, Raccoons, and Fisher were our neighbors.

Once my brother even spotted an “extinct” Eastern Cougar in our back field. It's tail was three feet long. We heard this large wild cat scream at night, too. They DO sound like a woman in distress!

We had gravity-fed spring water, and heated our home with two woodstoves and one wood furnace. The small iron cookstove in our kitchen provided both heat and most of our meals.

When the electricity failed in winter ice storms, this was an enjoyed time of peace and quiet - no sound of a refrigerator running, or the wood furnace fan.

Each summer we attempted to grow enough vegetables to store, to get through the approaching winter. We didn't ever manage to do this, but we generally always tried.

The Way Leads Through Wilderness, 22x30 watercolor by Elise, 2017

Winter on a Mountain

I remember letting out a deep breath on many late April days, exclaiming with great relief, “Thank you, Lord, we made it through (another winter)!”

Winters were tough – the winter storms often brought many feet of snow at one time, and the dirt roads also became icy. During mud season, back roads were full of deep, slimy ruts.

There were deep troughs next to many dirt roads, which had the ability to catch and swallow our car on cold, late nights, coming home from meetings.

Temperatures were sometimes -25 F., without the stiff wind chill.

Heating the house was difficult, because it was both big, old and drafty. A house used only in summer before we bought it – it had no insulation in it, for many years!

Our animals needed food and water twice a day, come wind, weather, or snow. We had to shovel to get barn and chicken coop doors open after every time new snow arrived.

The Shining Path, 22x30 watercolor by Elise, 2015 - now titled differently, see above
I felt this painting could be stronger, so began to work on it again, see final painting in photo above. 

Immense Beauty

The upside to all the problems, the memory I cherish the most, was the indescribable beauty we saw all around us in the forest.

A thousand words of description cannot do justice to the way God's glorious Creation makes you feel His awesome Majesty.

We could feel His power in the winter wind, as it roared down the mountain, through the forest, like the sound of a freight-train.

Vivid dark green leaves on the trees in summer seemed to “clap their hands”, in praise to their Maker.

The foliage colors in Autumn were spectacular. As were the changing colors of the wild ferns and flowers, deep in the woods.

Diamonds sparkled from the snow under our feet, on icy mornings. The white birch tree groves with winter snow were like a fairyland.

Taking deep breaths of clean, fresh ice-cold air outside on those short, dark winter days was incredibly invigorating! That air must have been full of Electricity. 

I didn't know about “grounding” then, but I would sometimes take my boots off and walk on the snow with my sock feet.

Our “lofty mountain grandeur” gave me more understanding of the “rightness” of all created things. I learned to have real reverence for the sublime wonders our Father has made.

Same scene as above, but this photograph was taken in Fall, not Summer
- photo by Elise, 2015, Elmore, Vermont


Country Living

According to Google, 82% of America now lives in urban areas. That leaves less than 20% of people living in the countryside.

I've heard that people who live in the county usually have a higher IQ than people living in a city.

This is probably because city living, while it has it's own challenges, is often easier than county living.

You don't have many conveniences in the county – folks have to shovel their own snow, take their own garbage to the dump. They have to scale the roof when the ceiling leaks, and find the ice dam. County folk have to learn to “make do” when water pipes freeze.

Obtaining basic necessities sometimes means traveling long distances.

The snowy coast of Maine, winter 2014-2015, photo taken by Elise, when I lived there

Attitudes About County Living

I've since lived in at least two summer-home or resort locations, where city folks will come to stay for a short time.

I've noticed that when a city visitor learned I was a local, not a visitor, an emotional “wall” immediately went up, and their jovial communication would end.

They looked on me differently, I felt perhaps they saw me more negatively, because of where I chose to live.

Biblically, this attitude is seen thousands of years ago!

This is sad. Believe it or not, country folk can be some of the nicest people you ever want to meet. Many are well-read, intelligent people, with enormously interesting life stories!

President Calvin Coolidge, who grew up in the tiny village of Plymouth, Vermont, had a horse on which he would ride through the countryside. Riding horseback gives you a lot of time to think your own thoughts.

Calvin Coolidge said in his autobiography, “The mind must be given sufficient time thoroughly to digest all that comes to it.”

President George Washington once said, “It is better to be alone than in bad company.”

Learning to keep and like my own company, before the distraction of a mobile phone, computer, or social media, was good education.


Peace Sublime, 6x6 watercolor by Elise, 2011

Walking Through Wilderness

Two months ago, I heard a great sermon on the wilderness mentioned in the book of Exodus.

And I started thinking about this word, “wilderness”.

The pastor said, gist, “God brought the children of Israel out of Egypt, taking them away from everything familiar, to teach them to trust in God on a daily basis.

The pastor then applied this, by talking about people who today go through relational and emotional types of “wilderness”.

He added, “I don't mean a literal wilderness”.

Well, having lived much of my life in a literal wilderness, and also going through many times of relational and emotional “wilderness”, I've come to appreciate the lessons gained in these times.

Elimore, Vermont photograph by Elise, Autumn 2015

Different Kinds of “Wilderness”

The week in-between Christmas and New Year's used to be my favorite time – it meant I could hole up, eat foods prepared for the holidays, and read new books!

One year, my mother's annual book box gift contained four or five authored by Elisabeth Elliot.

Since Let Me Be a Woman wasn't there, I wanted to read The Mark of a Man first, but my mother told me, “I got that book primarily for your brother.” “However,” she added, “if you read all the other books first, then you can read that one.”

I'd previously read one of the Elliot books, so I quickly read another about Jim Elliot's interesting life, then a book about God's Guidance. Then I began reading one I didn't think sounded very interesting, The Path of Loneliness - It may seem a wilderness, but it can lead you to God .

Lonely? I was pretty certain I wasn't lonely.

The book described how Elisabeth once felt on an airplane, as she watched a man and woman communicate with their actions. Elisabeth was a widow by this time, and lonely.

I remember feeling some shock in my gut – because I had felt this same way, watching people in close communion with each other.

I had desired this kind of close relationship myself and began to take more interest in what her book was teaching.

Elmore, Vermont photograph by Elise, 2015

Change or No Change Can Create “Wilderness”

Rapid life changes; sustained monotony; disappointments or rejections; limitations; a loss or absence of vision in life; moving into a vision – outside your comfort zone; a move to a totally new area; or an injury, illness, or death of a loved one, can all create the “wilderness” experiences we all go through in life.

A wise widow tells me she once heard a pastor say “we are all either going into, through, or out of, a wilderness experience.”

She added, “We are going through His University.”

Unknowns. New Things. Unexpected or Unwanted Change. Loss. Tedious Repetition...are all tests of our faith in our Father's hand.

Elmore, Vermont photograph by Elise, 2015

Wilderness In My Own Life

A life-changing neck injury when I was nearly eight, and then suffering emotionally through my parent's divorce during my early teens created a type of wilderness and separation from others.

I internalized much of my physical and emotional pain at this time, stuffing everything and refusing to deal with or think on the hurtful emotions.

This led to emotional problems I wasn't aware I had for a very long time.

Children traumatized when not able to process their grief will often “arrest” in their emotional growth. This means they will completely stop growing emotionally, while continuing to grow physically and intellectually - until they acknowledge and accept what happened.

I know this happened in my life – I'm just not sure when my emotional growth began again...

Emotional pain and physical injuries seemed to separate me, even from my loving siblings. They didn't suffer as many serious physical injuries as I did, early on, but they were also suffering greatly on an emotional level, from our dad abandoning us.

On the other hand, I believe early physical and emotional pain deepened me.

I became much more intuitive and empathetic, more able to show compassion and sensitivity to others - because of all the pain my body endured.

I felt different from others. Perhaps everyone feels this way when they are young. But the books I chose to read were different. The way I wanted to invest time was different. Partly, this was due to the serious commitment I had made - to give my life to Christ.

Feeling intellectually, spiritually and emotionally “alone” probably affected me earlier than I initially recognized it.

I am thankful I knew my Father saw me, even when other people did not. I was grateful for the Spirit of God, who comforted me many times.

_________________


Then when I was twenty-three, my grandfather, then 84, had a double hemisphere stroke, which completely debilitated him.

He had been the family Rock, to whom we all looked for spiritual and emotional support. Now he was dependent on us for all his daily needs.

Our family had been so blessed by our Grandpa after my dad had abandoned us, and we wanted Grandpa to have his wish, to live at home until he died.

We began care-giving for him, helping our Grandmother in as many ways as we could.

I had recently had pancreatitis and nearly died a short time before this, so my health was deemed “not good enough to fly” to Florida.

My sisters and my mother took turns, switching off every three months, going to Florida to work long, sometimes sixteen-hour days.

Care-giving for someone debilitated in their 80's is no joke. It's hard work.

My job was to keep the home fires burning, quite literally.

As I fed wood fires in winter, cleaned ashes out of stoves, cleaned the house, shoveled snow, mowed grass, fed and watered our horse, cats, and chickens, I was often completely by myself.

I often used this alone time to sing praises to God, sometimes softly, but many times at full throttle. When I was outside the house there was no one around to hear me sing loudly, except the Lord God.

__________________

Many other things happened during the next five years, before our Grandpa went Home.

We had lots of friends come to dinner, and we invested in many lives, through many avenues, but it was a time of much waiting and a lot of relational “wilderness” for me.

I wrote a poem/song years ago, which addressed a little of how I felt during that time:

"Father, I See
Your Love is Enough for me
I have Hope and I believe
You see all my need

When I go through the wilderness
Let Your Light shine within
A city on a hilltop
I would be, for Thee

You see in the daytime...
the night and the light are both alike to You
I trust You, for You know my way
My heart I give to You, this day

I sing and I rejoice
Jesus has borne, by His choice
All my wretchedness and sin
Giving me new life, with Him, within

I praise you, LORD, for You are kind
You bring blessings to my life
I sing the glorious wonder
Of Your Almighty Power

You know my down-sitting and my uprising
You know my thought afar off
You are the Way, the Truth, the Life...the Light of men
Your Light has shone in the darkness

Father, I see
Your Love, it is Enough for me
I have Hope, and I believe
You meet all my need.”


~circa 1996, based on the truth found in Genesis 17:1, Hebrews 6:14-20, Matthew 5:14-16, Psalm 139, Psalm 62:8, Romans 5:6-9, John 1:1-18, John 8:12, John 14:6, and Philippians 4:19

Written when I was lonely, it blesses me now.


Goose Patrol, an old watercolor painting by Elise, circa 1996
He that walketh with the wise shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be afflicted.
~ Proverbs 13:20, Geneva Version

Alone with God

My mother gave me an excellent little book somewhere during these years, called Alone with God, printed in 1993 by Richard Wurmbrand.

Richard eventually helped start the organization Voice of the Martyrs.

Richard had been locked in Romanian jail cells for over thirteen years, persecuted for his faith in the living Yah.

Richard lived for three of those years in solitary confinement. 

Being alone with my own thoughts many times, with my siblings gaining occupations which took them many different places, I could relate to Richard Wurmbrand's words.

Perhaps ten years later, now in my mid-thirties and in a different location, far from Vermont, I was feeling very uncertain about my future.

A kind pastor, hearing of my then “wilderness,” gently reminded me it is not always night - there is SUNSHINE in the wilderness!

I was gladdened by this idea! I had been imagining myself in a very dark place – but daytime in a forest is full of beauty, light and life!

I felt much lighter and happier in being reminded I could enjoy and should even be rejoicing in the LORD through this time of uncertainty.

God tells us He meets those who rejoice and work righteousness:

Thou meetest him that rejoiceth and worketh righteousness, those that remember thee in thy ways:... ~ Isaiah 64:5a

Not serving Yah with joy and gladness of heart brings judgment:

Because thou servedst not the LORD thy God with joyfulness, and with gladness of heart, for the abundance of all things; Therefore shalt thou serve thine enemies which the Lord shall send against thee, in hunger, and in thirst, and in nakedness, and in want of all things... ~ Deuteronomy 28:47-48a

Trout Paradise, small watercolor by Elise, circa 2005

Lessons from a Literal Wilderness

During lengthily times of waiting and wondering that seemed repetitious and “silent”, I had time to learn:

  • Greater Appreciation for Beauty
  • Many useful Skills, which help support me today
  • Independence as well as Interdependence
  • Deliverance from many Distractions
  • Motivation to seek God's Face in Bible Study, Prayer and Meditation on Scripture
  • Spiritual Depth and more ability to Stand Alone for truth
  • An Eternal Life Focus, Security which cannot be taken away
  • Lessons in Caring for Animals and Serving other People

Blessings Abound, 2010. 12x16 watercolor by Elise 

And thou shalt remember all the way which the LORD thy Yah led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest obey his commandments, or no. And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live. ~ Deuteronomy 8:2-3

Wilderness and the Children of Israel

When Moses led the people of Israel out of Egypt somewhere around the 13th Century, B.C., the Israelite people probably left a very established civilization. They left “city life.”

I watched a You Tube piece recently which says some now believe from the evidence that the great pyramid of Giza, Egypt (which had been there far before the Israelite captivity) was possibly designed and used as a power plant, generating some kind of electricity.

"The wilderness region in the Sinaitic peninsula through which for forty years the Hebrews wandered is generally styled "the wilderness of the wanderings." This entire region is in the form of a triangle, having its base toward the north and its apex toward the south. Its extent from north to south is about 250 miles, and at its widest point it is about 150 miles broad. Throughout this vast region of some 1,500 square miles there is not a single river. The northern part of this triangular peninsula is properly the "wilderness of the wanderings" (et-Tih). The western portion of it is called the "wilderness of Shur" (Exodus 15:22), and the eastern the "wilderness of Paran."

M.G. Easton M.A., D.D., Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Third Edition,
published by Thomas Nelson, 1897. Public Domain, copy freely.

The Israelite people may have left everything familiar to their every-day lives, and everything connected to “modern” society, however, they were not alone in the wilderness – they were individually part of a large company of other people!

According to one very interesting online article, there were 60,355 Israelite people who came out of Egypt in Moses's Exodus.

While traveling with numerous people (some who were their own known family or tribe) may have produced it's own challenges of faith regarding relationships, and in obtaining daily food and water, it's hard to believe they were lonely in quite the same way someone is when completely by themselves.

That said, you can definitely be lonely in a crowd, while being with family, or in a city.

And I've realized I'm not usually Lonely for other people per say (there are plenty of people in my life). I'm most often Lonely for intellectual and spiritual fellowship – for people who think and believe what I do...


Edge of the Woods,
original watercolor by Elise, 19x26i, circa 1996


What is a Biblical “Wilderness”?

I have a tendency to incorrectly project what I know of life on what I read in the Bible.

But the Middle East simply doesn't have the same dense forests, or large deciduous trees that we do in North America.

I'm not an expert in what the “wilderness” must have been like during the time of the Israelite's Exodus from Egypt, or during King David's various wilderness experiences.

However, I do know this area has a completely different climate than where I have lived most of my life, in a Vermont forest.

The Middle East was and is, hotter and drier. The “wilderness” and “desert” there may have had scrub growth and some tree cover, but with many different varieties of flora and fauna than I've ever seen.

Approach to Mt. Cook in the Southern Alps of New Zealand,
20x28 watercolor by Elise, 2007
Private Collection

Wilderness in the Hebrew Language

There are seven different words translated “wilderness” and five for “desert” in the Hebrew language.

One is #4057 in Strong's Exhaustive Concordance:

מִדְבָּר midbâr, mid-bawr'; from H1696 in the sense of driving; a pasture (i.e. open field, whither cattle are driven); by implication, a desert; also speech (including its organs):—desert, south, speech, wilderness.

"Heb. midhbar, denoting not a barren desert but a district or region suitable for pasturing sheep and cattle (Psalms 65:12; Isaiah 42:11; Jeremiah 23:10; Joel 1:19; 2:22); an uncultivated place. This word is used of the wilderness of Beersheba (Genesis 21:14)”

M.G. Easton M.A., D.D., Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Third Edition,
published by Thomas Nelson, 1897. Public Domain, copy freely.

This was the “wilderness” where the Egyptian woman Hagar was cast out, with her son, Ishmael, in Genesis 21:

Wherefore she [Sarah] said unto Abraham, Cast out this bondwoman and her son: for the son of this bondwoman shall not be heir with my son, even with Isaac. And the thing was very grievous in Abraham's sight because of his son. And God said unto Abraham, Let it not be grievous in thy sight because of the lad, and because of thy bondwoman; in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy seed be called. And also of the son of the bondwoman will I make a nation, because he is thy seed. And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and took bread, and a bottle of water, and gave it unto Hagar, putting it on her shoulder, and the child, and sent her away: and she departed, and wandered in the wilderness of Beersheba.” ~ Genesis 21:10-14 emphasis mine

And it was where Ishmael was raised:

And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.” ~ Genesis 21:20

Here is another Hebrew word for wilderness or desert:

עֲרָבָה ʻărâbâh, ar-aw-baw'; from H6150 (in the sense of sterility); a desert; especially (with the article prefix) the (generally) sterile valley of the Jordan and its continuation to the Red Sea:—Arabah, champaign, desert, evening, heaven, plain, wilderness. See also H1026.

desert plain, steppe, desert, wilderness

And the children of Israel set forward, and pitched in the plains of Moab on this side Jordan by Jericho. Numbers 22:1

Another Hebrew description for “wilderness” and “desert”, Strong's H3452:

יְשִׁימוֹן יְשִׁימו yᵉshîymôwn, yesh-ee-mone'; from H3456; a desolation:—desert, Jeshimon, solitary, wilderness.

yesh·ē·mōn' (Key) The KJV translates Strong's H3452 in the following manner: Jeshimon (6x), desert (4x), wilderness (2x), solitary (1x).

They wandered in the wilderness in a solitary H3452 way; they found no city to dwell in. ~ Psalm 107:4

Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert. H3452 ~ Isaiah 43:19

Yet another Hebrew word, #2723 - a place laid waste, ruin, waste, desolation

חׇרְבָּה chorbâh, khor-baw'; feminine of H2721; properly, drought, i.e. (by implication) a desolation:—decayed place, desolate (place, -tion), destruction, (laid) waste (place).

"And they thirsted not when he led them through the deserts [H#2723]: he caused the waters to flow out of the rock for them: he clave the rock also, and the waters gushed out.” ~ Isaiah 48:21


Spring Beckons, 8x8 watercolor by Elise, 2011

Wilderness in the Greek Language

One of two related words translated “wilderness” and “desert” in Greek is #2048: ἔρημος erēmos

ἔρημος érēmos, er'-ay-mos; of uncertain affinity; lonesome, i.e. (by implication) waste (usually as a noun, G5561 being implied):—desert, desolate, solitary, wilderness.

Outline of Biblical Usage

1. solitary, lonely, desolate, uninhabited

used of places:
    1. a desert, wilderness
    2. deserted places, lonely regions
    3. an uncultivated region fit for pasturage
2. used of persons:
    1. deserted by others
    2. deprived of the aid and protection of others, especially of friends, acquaintances, kindred
    3. bereft
      1. of a flock deserted by the shepherd
      2. of a woman neglected by her husband, from whom the husband withholds himself

A desert, full of scrub bushes and trees...

Isle of Islay, Scotland - 1/2 sheet watercolor by Elise, circa 2007 - Private Collection

David, the Shepherd Boy who Became King

Before becoming King of Israel, David was a lowly shepherd, leading around and caring for a small flock of woolly, lanolin-smelling sheep.

He was preparing to be King of Israel, but he wasn't aware of it, yet.

He must have spent much time in the “wilderness”, perhaps quite alone with his sheep, rod and staff, and musical instrument.

I tend to picture him in a green pasture, sort of like New Zealand, but I doubt there was that much verdant growth on the rocky mountain sides in the Middle East.

The Bible records these facts about David's young life [bold emphasis mine]:

Again, Jesse made seven of his sons to pass before Samuel. And Samuel said unto Jesse, The Lord hath not chosen these. And Samuel said unto Jesse, Are here all thy children? And he said, There remaineth yet the youngest, and, behold, he keepeth the sheep. And Samuel said unto Jesse, Send and fetch him: for we will not sit down till he come hither. And he sent, and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, and withal of a beautiful countenance, and goodly to look to. And the Lord said, Arise, anoint him: for this is he. Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the Spirit of the Lord came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel rose up, and went to Ramah. But the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord troubled him. And Saul's servants said unto him, Behold now, an evil spirit from God troubleth thee. Let our lord now command thy servants, which are before thee, to seek out a man, who is a cunning player on an harp: and it shall come to pass, when the evil spirit from God is upon thee, that he shall play with his hand, and thou shalt be well. And Saul said unto his servants, Provide me now a man that can play well, and bring him to me. Then answered one of the servants, and said, Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite, that is cunning in playing, and a mighty valiant man, and a man of war, and prudent in matters, and a comely person, and the Lord is with him. Wherefore Saul sent messengers unto Jesse, and said, Send me David thy son, which is with the sheep. And Jesse took an ass laden with bread, and a bottle of wine, and a kid, and sent them by David his son unto Saul. And David came to Saul, and stood before him: and he loved him greatly; and he became his armourbearer. And Saul sent to Jesse, saying, Let David, I pray thee, stand before me; for he hath found favour in my sight. And it came to pass, when the evil spirit from God was upon Saul, that David took an harp, and played with his hand: so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him. ~ I Samuel 16:10-23

The historical account continues on in I Samuel chapter 17, with the three eldest sons of Jesse going into Saul's army, however, David returns to the small town of Bethlehem, to serve his father, and keep sheep:

But David went and returned from Saul to feed his father's sheep at Bethlehem. ~ I Samuel 17:15

Then David is once again summoned to go back to Saul's camp by his father, Jesse. He isn't yet aware as he goes that he is leaving the wilderness to fight the huge Philistine giant, Goliath.

And Jesse said unto David his son, Take now for thy brethren an ephah of this parched corn, and these ten loaves, and run to the camp of thy brethren; And carry these ten cheeses unto the captain of their thousand, and look how thy brethren fare, and take their pledge. Now Saul, and they, and all the men of Israel, were in the valley of Elah, fighting with the Philistines. And David rose up early in the morning, and left the sheep with a keeper, and took, and went, as Jesse had commanded him; and he came to the trench, as the host was going forth to the fight, and shouted for the battle. For Israel and the Philistines had put the battle in array, army against army. And David left his carriage in the hand of the keeper of the carriage, and ran into the army, and came and saluted his brethren. ~ I Samuel 17:17-22

Eliab, David's eldest brother (who probably felt overlooked when David had been anointed by the prophet Samuel), is perhaps jealous of his youngest brother. Eliab makes fun of David, falsely accuses him, despising David's bravery, and menial work with their father's sheep:

And Eliab his eldest brother heard when he spake unto the men; and Eliab's anger was kindled against David, and he said, Why camest thou down hither? and with whom hast thou left those few sheep [H4592] in the wilderness [H4057 מִדְבָּר midbâr]? I know thy pride, and the naughtiness of thine heart; for thou art come down that thou mightest see the battle. ~ I Samuel 17:28

H4592 מְעַט mᵉʻaṭ, meh-at'; or מְעָט mᵉʻâṭ; littleness, few, a little, fewness
1.little, small, littleness, fewness, too little, yet a little
2.like a little, within a little, almost, just, hardly, shortly, little worth

And David said, What have I now done? Is there not a cause? ~ I Samuel 17:29

Once more, David is summoned to go before King Saul, because his brave words were overheard:

And David said unto Saul, Thy servant kept his father's sheep, and there came a lion, and a bear, and took a lamb out of the flock: And I went out after him, and smote him, and delivered it out of his mouth: and when he arose against me, I caught him by his beard, and smote him, and slew him. Thy servant slew both the lion and the bear: and this uncircumcised Philistine shall be as one of them, seeing he hath defied the armies of the living God. David said moreover, The Lord that delivered me out of the paw of the lion, and out of the paw of the bear, he will deliver me out of the hand of this Philistine. And Saul said unto David, Go, and the Lord be with thee. ~ I Samuel 17:34-37

After killing Goliath, David then spends a lot of time back in the wilderness, perhaps as long as seven or eight years, seeking refuge in caves and mountains, chased by the then-jealous and angry King Saul.

And David abode in the wilderness in strong holds, and remained in a mountain in the wilderness of Ziph. And Saul sought him every day, but God delivered him not into his hand. And David saw that Saul was come out to seek his life: and David was in the wilderness of Ziph in a wood. ~ I Samuel 23:14-15

The Bible records that David was in many different wildernesses – Ziph, Maon (I Sam. 23:24), Engedi (I Sam. 24:1), Paran (I Sam. 25:1)

David had his warrior men with him, so he was no longer alone.

But the wilderness now became a different kind of refuge than when he was a boy – it was a place for David to hide out, to live long enough to see his life purpose fulfilled.

King David then spends most of the latter half of his life living in the city of Jerusalem.


Ancient Cuneiform Tablet Carving Illustration for a Meekness Bulletin, CF!B, by Elise, 2003

The Prophet, Elijah

Elijah was led into wilderness, too. It became a place for him to rest, recover his strength, hear the still, small voice of God, and avoid death at the hands of a wicked woman, Jezebel.

This story is recorded in I Kings chapter 19.

Elijah felt so alone in his stand against Jezebel, he replied to a question God asked him that he was the “only one left” who had not bowed the knee to worship a false god (He says this I Kings 19:10, and repeats it in verse 14).

No,” God replied in verse 18, “there are seven thousand others” who were standing in a similar manner. They had not bowed to, or kissed, Baal.

Hosea's Wife, Gomer

God likes to use analogies, to teach us important lessons. Hosea was a prophet who was told by the LORD to go marry a harlot whose name was Gomer. 

Gomer pictured the unfaithful, adulterous people of Israel, who had turned from serving the living Yah to worship idols.

Hosea took his wife, Gomer, to a place where he could gain her full attention:

Therefore, behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness [H4057 midbar], and speak comfortably unto her. ~ Hosea 2:14

And I will betroth thee unto me for ever; yea, I will betroth thee unto me in righteousness, and in judgment, and in lovingkindness, and in mercies. I will even betroth thee unto me in faithfulness: and thou shalt know the Lord. ~ Hosea 2:19-20

And I will sow her unto me in the earth; and I will have mercy upon her that had not obtained mercy; and I will say to them which were not my people, Thou art my people; and they shall say, Thou art my God.” ~ Hosea 2:23

Hosea pictures just how much our Father is willing to sacrifice to buy us back, to restore His covenant people to a right relationship with Himself.


Twin Lambs, 4x5 miniature watercolor by Elise, 2013 - Private Collection

John the Baptist

John the Baptist is one of my favorite people in the Bible, probably because I relate to his being rather unconventional in how he lived.

I once heard a sermon on how John's parents may have felt about their unusual son. When someone came to tell Elisabeth and her husband, Zacharias, what their own sons were accomplishing, what could they say?

Oh yes, John is doing well, he's out in the desert eating locusts and wild honey, dressed in camel's hair and looking pretty wild. He hasn't married yet, no. No, he doesn't have any children. No degrees. No accolades.”

But again, this is putting our culture on someone from a very different culture. In the east, people are not known for what they do, they are known for who they are – what family they come from.

John's father was a holy Levitical Priest, who ministered in the temple, in the city.

According to Luke 1:5, both Zacharias and his wife, Elisabeth could trace their lineage back to Aaron, the first High Priest:

"There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth.”

"And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless. And they had no child, because that Elisabeth was barren, and they both were now well stricken in years. And it came to pass, that while he executed the priest's office before God in the order of his course, According to the custom of the priest's office, his lot was to burn incense when he went into the temple of the Lord." ~ Luke 1:6-9

John was meekly living out the vital purposes God had for his life, recorded in the Biblical scriptures, and clearly told to his parents:

"But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John. And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth. For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb. And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God. And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.” ~ Luke 1:13-17

John the Baptist was preparing to say “Repent you: for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand” (Matthew 3:2) and be "the voice of one crying in the wildernss, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Esaias" (John 1:23) in preparation for the arrival of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

The Bible records that John the Baptist, born when his long-barren mother was an older woman, lived in deserts until his appearing in Israel:

"And all they that heard them laid them up in their hearts, saying, What manner of child shall this be! And the hand of the Lord was with him. And his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Ghost, and prophesied, saying, Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people, And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David; As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began: That we should be saved from our enemies, and from the hand of all that hate us; To perform the mercy promised to our fathers, and to remember his holy covenant; The oath which he sware to our father Abraham, That he would grant unto us, that we being delivered out of the hand of our enemies might serve him without fear, In holiness and righteousness before him, all the days of our life. And thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the Highest: for thou shalt go before the face of the Lord to prepare his ways; To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins, Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us, To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace. And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, and was in the deserts [G2048] till the day of his shewing unto Israel." ~ Luke 1:66-80
Desert Shadows, Camel Illustration by Elise, for Endurance CF!B Bulletin, 2004

Christ's Temptation in the Wilderness

Christ, Y'Shua, the Messiah, was also led into the wilderness for forty days of fasting, and then he went through a time of testing.

Christ often returned to the quiet of the desert, to rest from the crowds, and converse with His Father during his earthly ministry:

And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert [G2048] place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat. ~ Mark 6:31


Camel Caravan Illustration by Elise for Endurance CF!B Bulletin, 2004

People of Faith

Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Sara, Issac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, Rahab, Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthae, David, Samuel, the prophets...

"These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country. And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned. But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.” ~ Hebrews 11:13-16

"By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter; Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season; Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward. By faith he forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king: for he endured, as seeing him who is invisible.” ~ Hebrews 11:24-27

"(Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts [G2047], and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth." ~ Hebrews 11:38

ἐρημία Greek #2047 a solitude, an uninhabited region, a waste

The Woman with Child in the Last Days

And the woman fled into the wilderness [G2048 ἔρημος erēmos], where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days...

...And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness [G2048], into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent. ~ Revelation 12:6, 14


String of Pearls, 7x11 watercolor by Elise, 2015 - Private Collection

Wilderness Comes Before the Promised Land

In his book, The Dream Giver: Following Your God-Given Destiny, author Bruce Wilkinson spoke about the “wilderness” being a place everyone must pass through after leaving your “comfort zone” on the way to the fulfillment of your God-given dreams or vision in life.

Pack Camel Illustration by Elise for Endurance CF!B Bulletin, 2004
Charity...beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things...
~ I Corinthians 13:7


A Call to Minister in Cities – a new wilderness

The Levites were an Israelite tribe called to be temple priests who ministered in Solomon's Temple in three different ways:
  1. Daily Temple Sacrifices
  2. Porters – doormen/guards/gatekeepers
  3. Musicians
So when David was old and full of days, he made Solomon his son king over Israel. And he gathered together all the princes of Israel, with the priests and the Levites. Now the Levites were numbered from the age of thirty years and upward: and their number by their polls, man by man, was thirty and eight thousand. Of which, twenty and four thousand were to set forward the work of the house of the Lord; and six thousand were officers and judges: Moreover four thousand were porters; and four thousand praised the Lord with the instruments which I made, said David, to praise therewith.”~ I Chronicles 23:1-5

"There were a great number of priests and Levites in the Temple at all times. According to 1 Chronicles 23:4-5, there were 24,000 priests and priests' assistants, 4,000 gatekeepers and 4,000 musicians. They were divided into 24 courses according to their assignment. When a course was on duty, all its members were bound to appear in the Temple. Therefore there were more than 1,300 Levites in the Temple at any given time, although not all of them were serving on the same day.”

Levitical priests were instructed to keep themselves pure and holy in every way. They were held to very high standards, for good reason.

The Levites were not given an inheritance in the Promised Land in the same way as the other eleven tribes. God did not give them lands. He gave them land in a city, and the tithes of the other tribes for their living.

They were to consecrate themselves totally to God's service. Taking care of large tracts of lands and many herds of animals would have taken up too much of their time.

The Lord God, Yahweh himself, became the Levites' portion, their inheritance and their exceeding great reward.

Today, Christ's holy life and death is our sacrifice. He fulfilled the entire Law on our behalf, and is still interceding for us. He gives us, freely by faith, His own Righteousness, paying our debt.

We, the people of God, His own Sons who take on His likeness, have become kings and priests, able and called to minister to others.

"Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded. Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner, And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed. But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light; Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy. ~ I Peter 2:5-10

What the Wilderness has done is teach me all my time alone with Christ has prepared me for time among people. 

I have felt Him preparing and calling me. I must no longer stay in solitary places! I must go to the city physically, as well as through writing and painting, as the Holy Spirit directs.

How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tiding of good things. ~ Romans 10:15

The ripened harvest field is there. Ministers to those who have not yet heard the Good News are needed! Will you go for Him?


With a grateful heart, I remain your painting and writing-friend,

Elise


Desert [N][S]

  • Heb. midbar, "pasture-ground;" an open tract for pasturage; a common (Joel 2:22). The "backside of the desert" (Exodus 3:1) is the west of the desert, the region behind a man, as the east is the region in front. The same Hebrew word is rendered "wilderness," and is used of the country lying between Egypt and Palestine (Genesis 21:14 Genesis 21:21; Exodus 4:27; 19:2; Joshua 1:4), the wilderness of the wanderings. It was a grazing tract, where the flocks and herds of the Israelites found pasturage during the whole of their journey to the Promised Land.

The same Hebrew word is used also to denote the wilderness of Arabia, which in winter and early spring supplies good pasturage to the flocks of the nomad tribes than roam over it (1 Kings 9:18). The wilderness of Judah is the mountainous region along the western shore of the Dead Sea, where David fed his father's flocks (1 Samuel 17:28; 26:2). Thus in both of these instances the word denotes a country without settled inhabitants and without streams of water, but having good pasturage for cattle; a country of wandering tribes, as distinguished from that of a settled people (Isaiah 35:1; 50:2; Jeremiah 4:11). Such, also, is the meaning of the word "wilderness" in Matthew 3:3; 15:33; Luke 15:4.

  • The translation of the Hebrew Aribah', "an arid tract" (Isaiah 35:1 Isaiah 35:6; 40:3; 41:19; 51:3, etc.). The name Arabah is specially applied to the deep valley of the Jordan (the Ghor of the Arabs), which extends from the lake of Tiberias to the Elanitic gulf. While midbar denotes properly a pastoral region, arabah denotes a wilderness. It is also translated "plains;" as "the plains of Jericho" (Joshua 5:10; 2 Kings 25:5), "the plains of Moab" (Numbers 22:1; Deuteronomy 34:1 Deuteronomy 34:8), "the plains of the wilderness" (2 Samuel 17:16).

  • In the Revised Version of Numbers 21:20 the Hebrew word jeshimon is properly rendered "desert," meaning the waste tracts on both shores of the Dead Sea. This word is also rendered "desert" in Psalms 78:40; 106:14; Isaiah 43:19 Isaiah 43:20. It denotes a greater extent of uncultivated country than the other words so rendered. It is especially applied to the desert of the peninsula of Arabia (Numbers 21:20; 23:28), the most terrible of all the deserts with which the Israelites were acquainted. It is called "the desert" in Exodus 23:31; Deuteronomy 11:24. (See JESHIMON)

  • A dry place; hence a desolation (Psalms 9:6), desolate (Leviticus 26:34); the rendering of the Hebrew word horbah'. It is rendered "desert" only in Psalms 102:6, Isaiah 48:21, and Ezekiel 13:4, where it means the wilderness of Sinai.

  • This word is the symbol of the Jewish church when they had forsaken God (Isaiah 40:3). Nations destitute of the knowledge of God are called a "wilderness" (32:15,midbar). It is a symbol of temptation, solitude, and persecution (Isaiah 27:10, midbar_; 33:9, _arabah).
These dictionary topics are from
M.G. Easton M.A., D.D., Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Third Edition,
published by Thomas Nelson, 1897. Public Domain, copy freely.



Hate the evil systems, but love your persecutors.
Love their souls, and try to win them for Christ.”

~ Richard Wurmbrand


String of Pearls II, 7x11 watercolor by Elise, 2015 - Collection of the Artist

Little is Much When God Is in It

In the harvest field now ripened
There's a work for all to do;
Hark! the Master's voice is calling,
To the harvest calling you.
Does the place you're called to labor
Seem so small and little known?
It is great if God is in it,
And He'll not forget His own.
Little is much when God is in it!
Labor not for wealth or fame;
There's a crown, and you can win it,
If you go in Jesus' name.
When the conflict here is ended
And our race on earth is run,
He will say, if we are faithful,
"Welcome home, My child—well done!"
In the mad rush of the broad way,
In the hurry and the strife,
Tell of Jesus' love and mercy,
Give to them the Word of Life.
Are you laid aside from service,
Body worn from toil and care?
You can still be in the battle,
In the sacred place of prayer.
~ Kittie L. Suffield, circa 1924


Thy mercy, O Lord, is in the heavens;
and thy faithfulness reacheth unto the clouds.
Thy righteousness is like the great mountains;
thy judgments are a great deep:
O Lord, thou preservest man and beast.
How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God!
therefore the children of men put their trust 
under the shadow of thy wings.
They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fatness of thy house;
and thou shalt make them drink of the river of thy pleasures.
For with thee is the fountain of life:
in thy light shall we see light. 

~ Psalm 36:5-9


Give me the wings of faith to rise
within the veil, and see
the saints above, how great their joys,
how bright their glories be.


Once they were mourners here below,
with sighing and with tears;
they wrestled hard, as we do now,
with sins and doubts and fears.


I ask them whence their victory came:
they, with united breath,
ascribe their conquest to the Lamb,
their triumph to his death.


They marked the footsteps that he trod,
his zeal inspired their breast,
and, following their incarnate God,
possess the promised rest.


Our glorious Leader claims our praise
for his own pattern given;
while the long cloud of witnesses
show the same path to heaven.


~ Issac Watts, circa 1709


O sing unto the Lord a new song:
sing unto theLord, all the earth.
Sing unto the Lord, bless his name;
shew forth his salvation from day to day.
Declare his glory among the heathen,
his wonders among all people.
For the Lordis great, and greatly to be praised:
he is to be feared above all gods.
For all the gods of the nations are idols:
but the Lord made the heavens.
Honour and majesty are before him:
strength and beauty are in his sanctuary.
Give unto the Lord, O ye kindreds of the people,
give unto the Lord glory and strength.
Give unto the Lord the glory due unto his name:
bring an offering, and come into his courts.
O worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness:
fear before him, all the earth.
Say among the heathen that the Lord reigneth:
the world also shall be established that it shall not be moved:
he shall judge the people righteously.
Let the heavens rejoice, and let the earth be glad;
let the sea roar, and the fulness thereof.
Let the field be joyful, and all that is therein:
then shall all the trees of the wood rejoice
Before the Lord: for he cometh,
for he cometh to judge the earth:
he shall judge the world with righteousness,
and the people with his truth.

~ Psalm 96




Blogger Template by Clairvo