How to Discover and Develop Inborn Gifts, Talent, New Skills and Abilities

Every living thing was designed with the ability to grow, expand, change and multiply in its natural state.


Through seeds and spores, the world of Nature procreates in its own perfect time and way, receiving Light and Life from Sun and Earth, then giving birth to new plants, trees and animals.


In like manner, people were designed by a Master Designer with all the blueprints and order needed to reproduce in ways which reflect their own unique design, passing on information gained from previous generations.


Our ability to create and give birth to new things physically can be damaged or delayed through disease, injury or unstable life conditions…but the desire to conceive new things and co-create with God and others is pretty universal.


_______________


As I have mulled over how to write this rather complex blog post, I realized there is no one set way skills are developed.


Each person will have a different story and timing, a unique journey.


However, there are some very obvious similarities between those who achieve mastery in a particular field and I will point out some of them.

________________

 

People need and desire significance, positive attention, to be seen, known and loved by others.


Some wait years before they realize or develop skills they are particularly good at doing.


“I just want to be good at something,” is the heart-felt desire of many young school children as well as adults.


We want to know we have a place, are needed and where we fit in.


Everyone can become skilled at one thing, if not many things


“Losing” in life is not considered the goal…


Everyone wants to be a “Winner” in some way, in some area.


Yet, struggle and “losing” are part of growth, for they often bring strength and character which otherwise would not be possible.


And sometimes “losing” actually means winning from an eternal perspective.


"Evening Whispers" 18x24 plein air acrylic on canvas from last Friday,  Lake Champlain, Vermont

 

What Is "Talent"?


Talent is defined as “a natural aptitude or skill”.


It is also “a former weight and unit of currency, used especially by the ancient Romans and Greeks.” This is the “talent” I feel is referred to  in the New Testament parable found in Matthew 25:14-30 even though the article I linked to expands the meaning to other things.



Many times over the years people who see my paintings, hear a bit of my music or see other abilities have told me, “You are so talented.”


I’ve even been asked if I was once an Olympic swimmer – haha!


I understand these are compliments, the intent is to let me know my work shows some signs of mastery - but at the same time it leaves me feeling a little blank.


The word “Talent” makes me feel others think I was simply born knowing how to paint realism…and I wasn’t.


I was born with spatial intelligence, fingers that loved to touch and feel things, and a strong desire to depict things on paper which I found interesting or pretty.


Because of some early injuries to my body and eyes, and then later spraining a lot of joints that healed rather slowly, perhaps I had more time sitting in a bed or chair than others my age and this became one of my motivations to become an artist.


I loved flowers, animals and skies from a young age, so began painting serious still life and portrait works in pastel from age eight and watercolor from age eleven.


Determination gradually became a real strength. This helped me.


I quickly realized if I tried to do something enough times, this practice eventually made whatever it was become easier to do…zipping a zipper at age two, spelling Boggle words at five or six, playing notes on a guitar, etc.


I was competitive, I wanted to catch up to my older sister.


I didn’t know that practice was how you develop new brain neurons.


Effort, work, diligence, focus, elimination of distractions and time invested are what has gone into becoming “talented”.


And Character-Building is accessible, equally open to everyone, of any economic or social background, with the exception you also need access to various tools - drawing/painting materials or a decent musical instrument if you want to gain these specific skills.


________________

 


There are some keys to discovering and using the potential you have uniquely been given.


I also realize “talent” does not necessarily transfer to financial success. Marketing and sales are different skills than producing fine work.


And frankly, I have a long way to go to become a better artist and musician! There are SO many things needing improvement!


_________________



Some say, “I would never have the patience to do what you do” yet patience is definitely a quality which has to be developed.


Others have expressed jealousy, wanting a skill I have but not realizing all the things I have NOT done, in order to be an artist.


Olympic gymnasts and ice skaters are famous - but they testify to how difficult moving away from home to train is, while often having little or no social or family life for many, many years.


I can relate a little, even though I stayed at home with my family for many years.


My social life was basically my family and attending church or Bible Study. There have been a few dinner parties yet very infrequent time with friends, outside my siblings.


Growing up I was not terribly interested in comsuming pop culture or in learning about other “famous” visual or vocal artists.


I just really wanted to create my own music and art.


"Day is Done" 8x10 plein air acrylic on canvas by Elise



Setting Priorities and Goals for Your Time


Time is limited.


I had a chart from the age of 22, on which I kept a record of my daily time use.


Nightly I recorded how many hours of painting, music and exercise had been invested that day.


I also kept a record of when I got up, went to bed, what I generally did daily, where I went, and what books were read in miniature print.


This one, legal-sized sheet of paper gave me a monthly record to look back on and self-assess.


I wanted to know if I had used my time "wisely".


There were times when what my idea of “wise” was probably not so accurate…I tended to prioritize projects over people…not so great.


There were generally always interruptions in what my goals for the day or week may have been, but these charts were a useful tool to look back on and observe what my priorities really were.


My financial records were also quite detailed. I was taught being faithful in small things is important.


These habits began many years ago and I still follow them today, although my daily schedule is way looser now and I have far fewer responsibilities.


I suppose had we had a TV or internet back then it would have consumed time – but there were no such distractions when I was young. 


I still don’t own an iPhone - one less bill and distraction.



 


Cognitive Styles - Lane and Lorin Friesen’s Work, Illuminating Motivational Spiritual Gifts


This understanding of the brain actually has to do with how our brain and body is hard-wired. It is not another “putting someone in a box” method of analysis.


Lane and Lorin's work remains an excellent online resource for understanding your own and others’ unique abilities and strengths.


Many years ago I read and studied Lane Friesen's now out-of-print book, “Know your Cognitive Style in You”. 


I did find a large tome still available: All Sorts of People: Ordered Complexity 


Lane and his brother, Lorin, worked together for years. I heard they attached electrodes to the brain and asked a group of people, separately, the same questions.


Different sections of the brain would light up on different people, which allowed them to make some interesting findings about Motivational Gifts, otherwise known as Cognitive Styles.


Lane also studied 200 biographies of famous people, determining their cognitive styles and documenting his findings.


They determined there are three giftings on the left hemisphere of the brain, three on the right, and one in the middle of the brain – the corpus callosum.


These seven cognitive styles line up with the seven motivational spiritual gifts listed in Romans chapter 12.


Four are known as “service gifts”, three are “speaking gifts”.


There are character strengths and weaknesses for each gift.


For example, someone with the gift of Mercy has more ability than other people to naturally have both Compassion and Sensitivity or the lack of it, depending on their early experiences and memories. A Perceiver or Prophet has a very strong sense of Justice. Exhorter’s usually have Resourcefulness and Faith in spades.


There are other ministry-related gifts mentioned in the Bible, these are found listed in I Corinthians, chapter 12.


I was shocked to see my own mother described in great detail in Lane Friesen’s book, which enormously helped me understand her perspective on life, and therefore improved my relationship with her when I was in my early twenties.


This information helps one understand yourself and others!

_____________


My own gift helps me mentally plan and execute both what I write and paint today, and then there are character qualities built on top of this aptitude.

 



Brain Types – Jon Niednagel’s Work


This understanding is more about how we are soft-wired.


Everyone is born with certain bents and leanings.


Often they are Interests, Hobbies and Skills passed down by grandparents and parents.


­­­We seem to carry these inherited aptitudes in our DNA, or perhaps the outer border of our electromagnetic biofield.


When The Brain Types Institute website was in an early stage and free, I did a fair amount of research on this understanding of our brain and giftings.


According to this site, there are sixteen types broken into four different categories:


1.   1. Fine-Motor Coordinated – the arts, music, cooking, sewing, carpentry – working with your hands.


2.   2. All-Body Coordinated – professional athletes and dancers are often in this category.


3.   Lingual Skills – multiple languages are easier to learn.


4.   Mentally or Academically Skilled – good at remembering details, facts, and these people test well. They tend to be very tall or very short.


These sixteen types probably line up similarly with the Myers-Briggs personality test.


There are also sixteen basic chemical elements in the periodic table…Dr. Bernard Jensen’s fascinating tome The Chemistry of Man describes how these elements affect personality.


Interestingly, Jon Niednagel has helped many athletes gain large sports contracts by helping them play positions better-suited to their design. 


Just as a violin sitting against the wall in its case, every man, woman or child is much like a musical instrument – we are “Pure Potential”.


But each person must pick up and PLAY on those strings for the potential to be realized!





Birth Order


Another angle which plays into what gifting a child may develop is Birth Order.


The Birth Order Book by Kevin Leman documents certain traits for first-born, second-born, third-born and last-born children.


First born girls or boys tend to be Leaders. They either respond well to authority or they rebel.


Second-born children and adults are good followers and business people, tend to be gullible and more competitive than others.


Third-borns are very persuasive.


Last-born children are often clowns and make you laugh!


A space of five years or more between children means the next child has more first-born traits.


It follows gender, so a second-born boy with an older sister will usually have both first and second-born traits. 


I saw these traits play out in my own family.





 

Many Intelligences


During my years of character coaching with my sister, we taught children about Tolerance…one aspect of this quality was realizing everyone is a little different. 


There are so many different “intelligences”:


Academic Intelligence (IQ), Spatial Intelligence, Musical Intelligence, Logical/Mathematic Intelligence, Linguistic/Verbal Intelligence, Body/Kinesthetic Intelligence, Financial Intelligence, Relational Intelligence (Emotional Quotient), Mechanical Intelligence, Understanding Animals, Intra-personal Intelligence, Inter-personal Intelligence…there are many!


It is important to learn self-acceptance as well as accepting others for somewhat unchangeable aspects of their design.





 

Practice aka Discipline Outweighs Talent


My brother began taking guitar lessons at the age of 13. He had real natural ability and talent. His timing was much better than mine. Yet he had absolutely no desire to practice,


Today he says his sisters were “given all the musical gifts” in the family.


This is not quite true. He just chose not to develop his music talents through long hours of practice.


One reason was because he preferred developing his video game skills to guitar practice. =)


Another was that he is extroverted and far-sighted. Another more social instrument besides the classical guitar probably would have been been better for him to learn.


From the early age of six, I learned to practice playing my guitar each week, in preparation for my weekly lesson. It was my decision to play, this was not forced on me by my parents. It was not easy.


While I didn’t play guitar at all from age 9-19, I did play the piano during six of those years. After finding another guitar teacher when 19, I consistently practiced, sometimes hours each day.


There have also been times when I needed to rest and get away from practice due to travel, time constraints, big shoulder or wrist injuries, or not having an instrument available. 


I actually consciously quit playing piano for five years, frustrated by my younger sister's ease in reading music. I was NOT gifted in reading music fluidly. But after getting sick from chemical exposure, I realized I missed making music on the keyboard. 


So I returned to trying to play the piano at 22, but this time mostly when nobody else was home, avoiding family complaints, and by ear - not trying to read music.  


While learning verbal and musical languages is said to be easier at an early age, there are many who are choosing to learn languages and musical instruments, new sports, tech skills, inventions of all kinds, as well as how to paint, sew, cook, build, etc. later in life.


The educator and author John Holt learned to play the cello at age 50 and within around five years was playing with a major Boston orchestra!


Age is not a disadvantage to learning if you keep the brain healthy!

 


Genius


Not every parent wants a savant for a child.


There is a stigma surrounding very smart people and some parents prefer their child to fit in, rather than stand out.


My mother was not in this category.


She completed a Biology major in university and was both a bibliophile (who loved reading books) and renaissance woman, having many, many interests. She had wanted to apply for medical school, but marriage and four children hampered that desire. But she still studies the body today.


I remember her telling us many times how most people only use around 2% of their brain’s actual potential during their lives! I didn’t want to waste my potential!


My mom was a pioneer, an “early adopter” who liked doing things twenty years ahead of the rest of the culture.


She had read a Smithsonian study on how genius is developed and repeated it many times to me and my siblings:


1.   Let the child follow it’s own interests.


2.   Give them plenty of parental support.


3.   Limit their involvement with peers – children their own age





 

Education


My dad was equally unusual. He had a photographic memory. A master salesman, he called himself a “jack of all trades but master of none.”


This wasn’t quite true.


My dad had mastered how to play the accordion, all the buttons on the left side, and he was also an excellent percussionist.


He taught himself to play the piano very well and several other musical instruments.


My dad was an only child who had been locked in his bedroom at the early age of six with an accordion. He was told to practice an hour a day.


He was not allowed to come downstairs when there were guests in the house, but he could make an appearance if he performed on his accordion.


He learned to play extremely well but the emotional abuse and neglect he perhaps suffered negatively affected his life.


My dad learned to read and love books only after marrying my mother.


He taught himself many useful carpentry and plumbing skills through reading books, and passed on many of those skills to me, for I was his shadow and “helper” when he was home from long business trips.


He taught me how to solder or “sweat” copper pipes at the age of eleven with a blow torch. 


I also learned how to properly hold and use a hammer and saw.


Hammering nails became very helpful once he was no longer there, for our ponies loved getting out of their fences. I was constantly going around our farm fences with tools on my belt, fixing places in the slab wood railing they had leaned on, in order to make an escape to “greener pastures”.


My own Education was extremely full of variety and freedom to explore interests, thanks to being largely unschooled from the age of nine, and the example my parents gave me - to be a life-long learner.


Having a musical dad was a wonderful example.


My sisters and I watched our dad play piano for the fun of it, and we wanted to be like him. We would push each other off the piano bench for the chance to practice and imitate him!


However, all the inborn “talent”, genius or education in the world are not enough!





 

Character Building is Needed


President Calvin Coolidge wisely put it this way in a favorite quote of mine which I taped to the doorpost of my room for many years:


“Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.


The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”



Oswald Chambers says in one of his writings that while God alone can save and sanctify us, He will not build our character for us.

 

This is our responsibility.


It is IMPOSSIBLE to become skilled at anything without the character qualities of Perseverance and Determination.


I enjoyed reading this piece titled Discipline or Talent? Which is More Important?






Diligence and Perseverance – Calum Graham’s Work


Calum Graham's brilliant, peace-filled and precise guitar music is a reminder to me of Proverbs 22:29:


“Seest thou a man diligent in his business? he shall stand before kings; he shall not stand before mean [or, insignificant] men.”


He humbly says he won the 2010 Canadian Guitar Festival’s  International Competition “by some stroke of luck” – yet I'm pretty certain this award was given because the judges could hear he had practiced very, very diligently with great determination for a really long time!


Calum has a unique compositional quality to his guitar songs which leads me to believe he is inspired supernaturally…but he is also someone who studies many music genres. He is a master of his craft at a young age due to thousands of hours of determined practice.


Recent studies have shown that Mozart had a propensity for practice, too. He was born into a musical family and was performing with his father and sister at a very young age. All this practice and exposure allowed him to become the exceptional composer he became!

 


How Hard Work, Family Support and Limiting Distractions Paid Off – Justin Herbert’s Work


Back in September of this year I was at home, dog-sitting six dogs on a Sunday afternoon.


I don’t normally watch TV or Football, but I did that day. The dogs were used to the TV being on and it calmed them down when their loved owner was away.


Nothing seemed worth watching so I watched a Football game.


It happened to be Justin Herbert’s first NFL game as a rookie Quarterback with the Los Angeles Chargers.


He was given one minute notice he would be starting that day, due to a last-minute pain injection causing a punctured lung injury to the first-string quarterback, Tyrod Taylor.


Suddenly Justin’s coaches told him he was to play the full game!


He played extremely well!! He threw, ran and scored quickly - so much fun to watch!!!


Here was a young man with good character and a brilliant mind. 


 All NFL football players have big warrior discipline, body control and great strength. 


The role of the Quarterback requires thinking and making quick decisions -  which Justin often does while running, using his arm with tremendous poise and calmness!


It was very obvious Justin had worked extremely hard to be prepared to play at this level. I became an instant fan and have enjoyed following his team's play.


I have since read Justin didn’t have any social media accounts until January of this year, just before he was drafted.


He had eliminated unnecessary distractions, to focus on one of his interests – to become the best football player he could be.


Justin also had stability and support from his family.


And plenty of pursuits outside of football, like golf, teaching science and fishing, allowing needed time to rest and unfocus.

 


“And every man that striveth for the mastery

is temperate in all things..."


~ I Corinthians 9:25a





A Battle for the Mind - Focus


I have always believed men make better artists and athletes than women. (This is a large generalization, I do know plenty of excellent artists who are women.)


This is largely because of their greater physical endurance and also the way a man’s brain is designed to function.


Women often multi-task better, but men can really hone in on ONE thing at a time and develop extreme levels of mastery!


Since living with my sister and nieces for the past two months, I’ve been very distracted from producing artwork.


It takes great discipline to set aside distractions when you have a family and work from home!


Relationships are more important than my artwork right now.


I’ve been doing math, science and linguistic homework assignments with my two nieces. And teaching some art lessons!




I have watched many of their favorite “shows” with them…and we are also baking and adventuring together. I am glad to invest time in my dear niece’s lives. This is a season in life which will pass.



All in Good Time 


Many feel if they are not born with a certain skill, they can never develop it.


This is not true.


Sometimes our brains develop over time and allow us to do things we once found very difficult.


A half-grown plant is not able to bear fruit. Sometimes God reveals His plans much later in life than we would expect.


You cannot rush good fruit. It takes its own time…


I didn’t realize I could communicate through the written word until I was thirty.


A Brazilian artist who thought his weakness was painting water has now practiced enough for water paintings to become his strength!



Do You Need to Focus or Unfocus? Dr. Srini Pillay’s Work


Sean Croxton wrote the following in his April 17, 2017 newsletter:


“You need to focus more. You need to get your head out of the clouds, stop all of that daydreaming, and pay attention.


And if you find it difficult to be as locked in as they want you to be, you must have something wrong with you. See a doctor.

 

Because focus equals productivity. The only way to get things done is to focus, focus, focus.


Or is it?


What if I were to tell you that your brain wasn’t built for sustained focus? 


What if making “unfocus” a part of your day was actually the secret to not only being more productive but igniting your creative mind?

 

You see, the part of your brain responsible for focus and attention can only function for so long before needing a break.


And the only way to recharge your ability to focus is to unfocus — to daydream, doodle, meditate, tinker, or get up and have a good stretch. 

 

Plus, the brain network that lights up during periods of unfocus is what gives you the insights and ideas to solve problems and complete tasks.

 

It’s true, the latest research in neuroscience is giving you all of the scientific evidence you need to start bringing crayons, doodle boards, and coloring books to work.


You’re welcome! :-)


On this weeks episode of The SC Sessions, Dr. Srini Pillay, author of Tinker, Dabble, Doodle, Tryreveals the little-known power of the unfocused mind and how you can use it to get more done and get unstuck.” 

 



Balancing Order and Chaos – R.D. King’s Work


Fingerstyle Guitarist  R.D. King wrote the thoughts below for his short piece, “Balancing Act”.


I feel he describes a bit of the journey of creating and learning any skill:


“There is a delicate balance in art between order and chaos that mimics life: too much predictability is boring, while too much randomness becomes meaningless. Artists set up expectations to then be fulfilled or thwarted at various points within a narrative, artwork, or song. A journey with no obstacles to overcome is not interesting; neither is a journey that is only unsolvable riddles. Likewise, a satisfying life requires both routine and spontaneity as well; rigid regiments and sloven freedom both become monotonous.


So within both my artistic and personal lives, I attempt to include a certain degree of structure to fall back on while giving myself plenty of moments to make decisions unique to the moment. I need those decision points to remind me that I really am building the life I'm living; and that each moment contains a choice.”   ~ R.D. King




Persevering Through Criticism


Ultimately, our potential as individuals and the strength to mature in these areas come from opportunities given by our Father in heaven, Creator of the world.


The Japanese word for “grace” means God reaches His hand down and we reach up and take it.


It’s dual.


We cannot sit around waiting for God to do everything for us, at the same time we also really need His help and direction!


We all desire to be supported emotionally along the way - but some seem to have more of this than others.


For years I practiced the piano only in private due to many family complaints over my attempt to play a “fancy” style. I made so many mistakes while trying to learn arpeggios it was hard for others to listen to my pounding away for hours.


I read about a Mexican artist whose mother would tear up his work because she didn’t want her son becoming an artist. Yet he persevered and became an excellent illustrator!


It hurts when your goals and desires are not accepted by close family.


Criticism is common when parents, siblings or friends do not understand or have your vision.





Physical and Spiritual Rest, Plus Good Food Are Imperative to Focus


Healthy Brain and Body Function is based on Healthy Emotions, Gut Function, a Clean Environment and Healthy Electrical Voltage.


I believe we are designed to “see” in more ways than just visually, through our eyes.


Over time, guilt, shame, hate, loneliness and other harmful emotions usually lead to substance abuse and stuffing our pain. 


Addictions of any variety (there are 292-odd clinically recognized addictions, ranging from workaholism, social media, drugs, alcohol, shopping, etc.) do damage to our senses, gut, brain and biofield.


Once the brain and heart are compromised, focusing becomes much more difficult.


I am extremely grateful to have had a mother who taught me to study and apply natural health care, and to have been taught how Christ's blood covers me when I repent. 


I learned through much trial and error to read labels, eat whole foods, pray, journal, ask God for forgiveness, say "I was wrong will you forgive me" to people I hurt, go outside to get sunshine and exercise and take personal responsibility for my health as much as possible.


Exercise helps brain function. Rest helps brain function. Clean water and organic food help brain function. High quality fats - Butter and liquid trace minerals - also found in Raw Honey help brain function.


A Clear Conscience helps brain function, too.


The electrical system in the body is helped by tuned sound, another huge key to good health.


You can make small exceptions around 10% of the time, but this too, must be an area of discipline if you are to be creative in any fashion -artist, athlete, inventor - for the long haul.


I sleep 9.5 hours nightly. If I do not get this much sleep, I am not able to focus, period. 


No focus = no art.


Every person differs in sleep need but sleep-debt is HUGE today, with degenerative disease on the rise because people only sleep six hours a night! Sleep allows hormones to balance and healing to occur.


Observing our Father’s command for the Israelites to take a Sabbath of rest every seven days, and also a Sabbath Year of Rest every seven years would help people reset their systems.


Loving your neighbor is hard to do when you are exhausted.


Perhaps this year of “lockdown” is for some a form of taking a big step back.


I know many are working hard from home and are unable to rest. However, if you can, take some extra down time!




The Giver of Gifts Deserves All the Glory

 


“Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above,

and cometh down from the Father of lights,

with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.


~ James 1:17


Many people seem destined for early fame and success in life, while others work for years in obscure conditions and their work is only noticed after their death, like the now famous Danish artist Rembrandt.


Romans 9:20-21 puts it in perspective for me:


“Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?


Differences, abilities and weaknesses help us realize our need for other parts of the Body of Christ.


No one has every skill or ability!


The eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”. ~ I Corinthians 12:21a


 

“For who maketh thee to differ from another?

and what hast thou that thou didst not receive?

now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory,

as if thou hadst not received it?”


~ I Corinthians 4:7






Skilled Artisans Are Needed Today to Create Lasting Beauty in Culture – Bezaleel’s Work


Communism has a long history of destroying all remnants of beauty  and uniqueness in culture.


Free Nations promote peace through encouraging free speech, love of country, the worship of Almighty God, poetry, detailed and beautiful architecture, flowering landscapes, art and musical educations.


Architectural detailing, art and symbolism are extremely important in God’s sight:


 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,


See, I have called by name Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah:


And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship,


To devise cunning works, to work in gold, and in silver, and in brass,


And in cutting of stones, to set them, and in carving of timber, to work in all manner of workmanship.


And I, behold, I have given with him Aholiab, the son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan: and in the hearts of all that are wise hearted I have put wisdom, that they may make all that I have commanded thee;” ~ Exodus 31:1-6

 

Bezalel and Oholiab

“…And the LORD has given both him and Oholiab son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan, the ability to teach others. 

He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as engravers, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple, and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and as weavers— as artistic designers of every kind of craft.” ~ Exodus 35:34-35

Berean Study Bible

 

Preparations for the Temple


“…But who is able to build a house for Him, since the heavens, even the highest heavens, cannot contain Him? Who then am I, that I should build a house for Him, except as a place to burn sacrifices before Him? 


Send me, therefore, a craftsman skilled in engraving to work with gold and silver, with bronze and iron, and with purple, crimson, and blue yarn. He will work with my craftsmen in Judah and Jerusalem, whom my father David provided.


Send me also cedar, cypress, and algum logs from Lebanon, for I know that your servants have skill to cut timber there. And indeed, my servants will work with yours…”  ~ 2 Chronicles 2:6-8

Berean Study Bible

 


Limitations and Challenges Are Opportunities, There Are NO MISTAKES – God’s Work

 

“For we are his workmanship,

created in Christ Jesus unto good works,

which God hath before ordained

that we should walk in them.”


~ Ephesians 2:10

 


“Workmanship” in the Greek language is poiēma.

Every man, woman and child is the beautiful

artistic poem or creation of a loving Creator!

 


“Hath before ordained” in the Greek is:

προετοιμάζω proetoimázō, pro-et-oy-mad'-zo; from G4253 and G2090; to fit up in advance (literally or figuratively):—ordain before, prepare afore.

to prepare before, to make ready beforehand”

 

Our Father has a purpose for each of us, wherever we grew up, whatever challenges we may have faced or still face today.


For me, this meant accepting and even learning to rejoice that I had and still have many limitations.


Many doors were closed to me due to the consequences of serious injuries early in life, then illness and damaged eyesight.


My legs were scarred and in pain for much of the first part of my life…and this drove me to want to dwell on beauty.


When I focused on my paintings I could not feel pain.


It was instructive to learn about the human body’s function each time I had a new injury and then to heal and grow.


It has been a joy to realize I am healthier and stronger in many ways NOW than I was in my twenties!

 


“For he performeth the thing

that is appointed for me”


~ Job 23:14

  


“Performeth” in Hebrew is שָׁלַם shâlam, and means:


I.                        to be in a covenant of peace, be at peace

A.               (Qal)

i.                        to be at peace

ii.                        peaceful one (participle)

B.               (Pual) one in covenant of peace (participle)

C.               (Hiphil)

 .                        to make peace with

i.                        to cause to be at peace

D.               (Hophal) to live in peace

II.                        to be complete, be sound

 .                   (Qal)

 .                        to be complete, be finished, be ended

i.                        to be sound, be uninjured

A.               (Piel)

 .                        to complete, finish

i.                        to make safe

ii.                        to make whole or good, restore, make compensation

iii.                        to make good, pay

iv.                        to requite, recompense, reward

B.               (Pual)

 .                        to be performed

i.                        to be repaid, be requited

C.               (Hiphil)

 .                        to complete, perform

         to make an end of


שָׁלַם shâlam, shaw-lam'; a primitive root; to be safe (in mind, body or estate); figuratively, to be (causatively, make) completed; by implication, to be friendly; by extension, to reciprocate (in various applications):—make amends, (make an) end, finish, full, give again, make good, (re-) pay (again), (make) (to) (be at) peace(-able), that is perfect, perform, (make) prosper(-ous), recompense, render, requite, make restitution, restore, reward, × surely.

 


“Appointed” in Hebrew is חֹק chôq, khoke; and means:


statute, ordinance, limit, something prescribed, due

A.               prescribed task

B.               prescribed portion

C.               action prescribed (for oneself), resolve

prescribed due

D.               prescribed limit, boundary

E.                enactment, decree, ordinance

i.                        specific decree

ii.                        law in general

F.                enactments, statutes

 .                        conditions

i.                        enactments

ii.                        decrees

iii.                        civil enactments prescribed by God 


חֹק chôq, khoke; from H2710; an enactment; hence, an appointment (of time, space, quantity, labor or usage):—appointed, bound, commandment, convenient, custom, decree(-d), due, law, measure, × necessary, ordinance(-nary), portion, set time, statute, task.


Me, after hiking 2,690 feet to the summit of Mt Mansfield, Vermont, November 7, 2020, elevation 4,393 feet above sea level


Happy Thanksgiving!


I give thanks for all the bothersome and pleasant details of this very unusual year.


May we all make wise use of this time!


      May we find and use all our gifts and talents 

to bring Glory to God!


Gratefully and with love,


Elise


 

“O LORD, You will establish peace for us.

For all that we have accomplished,

You have done for us.”


~ Isaiah 25:12 


Berean Study Bible

 


Take The Initiative

By Oswald Chambers

Add to your faith virtue ["Furnish your faith with resolution," moffatt]…. — 2 Peter 1:5

“Add” means there is something we have to do. We are in danger of forgetting that we cannot do what God does, and that God will not do what we can do. We cannot save ourselves nor sanctify ourselves, God does that; but God will not give us good habits, He will not give us character, He will not make us walk aright. We have to do all that ourselves, we have to work out the salvation God has worked in. “Add” means to get into the habit of doing things, and in the initial stages it is difficult. To take the initiative is to make a beginning, to instruct yourself in the way you have to go.

Beware of the tendency of asking the way when you know it perfectly well. Take the initiative, stop hesitating, and take the first step. Be resolute when God speaks, act in faith immediately on what He says, and never revise your decisions. If you hesitate when God tells you to do a thing, you endanger your standing in grace. Take the initiative, take it yourself, take the step with your will now, make it impossible to go back. Burn your bridges behind you — “I will write that letter”; “I will pay that debt.” Make the thing inevitable.

We have to get into the habit of hearkening to God about everything, to form the habit of finding out what God says. If when a crisis comes, we instinctively turn to God, we know that the habit has been formed. We have to take the initiative where we are, not where we are not.


Romans 12:1-16

 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:

So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;

Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.

Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;

11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;

12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;

13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.

14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.

15 Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.

16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.

 

 

 

To God Be the Glory

 

How can I say thanks
for the things you’ve done for me
Things so undeserved
Yet you gave to prove your love to me
The voices of a million angels
Could not express my gratitude
All that I am and ever hope to be
I owe it all to Thee

(Chorus)
To God be the glory
To God be the glory
To God be the glory
For the things He has done
With His blood, He has saved me

With His power, He has raised me.
To God be the glory
For the things he has done

(Bridge)
Just let me live my life
And let it be pleasing, Lord to Thee
And should I gain any praise,
Let it go to Calvary.

With His blood, He has saved me
With His power, He has raised me.
To God be the glory
For the things he has done.

~ Andrae Crouch, circa 1971

 


I Corinthians Chapter 12


 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.

Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.

Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.

And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.

And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.

For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

For the body is not one member, but many.

If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?

And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?

If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?

But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.

And if they were all one member, where were the body?

But now are they many members, yet but one body.

And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.

Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:

And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness.

For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked.

 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.

And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.

Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?

Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

Blogger Template by Clairvo