The Importance of Vision and What You Gaze Upon Daily

“Vision Boards” are a concept I learned about a long time ago…


I remember hearing of the importance of posting goals and dreams in front of your eyes, so they are seen often, on a daily basis.


If you enter “what is a vision board” on Google, this appears:


vision board

[vision board]

NOUN

1.   a collage of images and words representing a person's wishes or goals, intended to serve as inspiration or motivation.

2.    

"on her vision board she put a log cabin, a sailboat, a red car, and a man and woman dancing on a white carpet"

 

One of my art students once explained to me how she’d cut photos from magazines of places she liked, to put in front of her. She most wanted to live where she could see the ocean daily. She moved from the finger-lakes region of upstate New York to the seacoast of Maine (where I met her), and this dream had been fulfilled.


What we see often changes us.


Our brains often work unconsciously to make things we see often in pictures, a reality in our lives.


For some strange reason, we also tend to start looking like what we look at on a regular basis. 


This happens to long-married couples. I've seen people who loved chickens start to look like a chicken!


If war-time comes, or a global pandemic - stark ugliness and destruction can be attached sorrows…but still, in the inner recesses of the mind and heart, wherever we are, we can choose to dwell on beauty.


This is also a biblical concept. God told His people to put the law of God in front of their eyes as a constant reminder of their relationship to Him. 


I'm told Hebrew is a very pictorial language - – and Google agrees:


“1. TORAH. Hebrew is a pictorial language, much like Egyptian hieroglyphics, and hence the letters have meanings - a literal meaning, or a noun, and a symbolic meaning, a verb or the expressed role, action, or character of the literal meaning.”


Our brains are constantly building or strengthening sensory neurons based on what we see daily, good or bad.


“Humans continue to produce new neurons in a part of their brain involved in learning, memory and emotion throughout adulthood, scientists have revealed, countering previous theories that production stopped after adolescence.” – source, Google


This is why the quality and visual content of the artwork and photographs hanging in our home or offices is so important!


What we gaze on ourselves and what our children see and hear matters perhaps more than we realize!


Messages and advertisements viewed on television or online can positively or adversely change us, too.


"Vision" is not only physical, or for the sighted. Even the blind can "see" with their hearts, minds, gut and senses! I've been following Benedikt Just's documentary film The Heart Revolution for a few years now. In it, he clearly shows how the Heart (or our electrical field) can see, even when someone is blindfolded!


Do you look at realism, impressionism, abstracts or fantasy? Why?


I believe gazing on nature’s beauty is incredibly valuable…it connects us to reality and to a sense of place.


Creation speaks without words, like instrumental music.


It is full of order, variety, detail, sound, light and colors which instruct and heal our souls.


“A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words”…and “Seeing is Believing” are sayings with truth to them.


_______________

 

This photo blog is a record of the changing of the seasons on Mt Mansfield, Vermont’s highest mountain, seen from my studio window over the past three years.


I recently moved, so these photos are now part of my memories.


The interesting thing about this beautiful view is I had seen and admired this very place a long time ago…not knowing it would one day become what I saw every day from my window!

 

An Outhouse in Winter


In days of yore, concrete construction on a new foundation under part of our old farmhouse ran into some problems.


Winter arrived before the foundation job was complete, leaving the house jacked up and very cold air passing underneath a large part of the house.


The sewage pipe exiting the house was affected by frigid temperatures and froze.


We were forced to turn off the water coming from the natural spring into our house, which then caused this incoming water pipe to freeze, too.


This led to having an outhouse for a short time that winter…


It was not as bad as it sounds.


Our outhouse had a small electric heater, plenty of wood ashes and fresh sawdust. It didn’t smell bad at all, actually it smelled nice!


It was actually warmer than our home, too, which still had wind blowing underneath it.


So the outhouse became a refuge where we would take a book and warm up.


I “decorated” the outhouse interior – hanging a small mirror and a beautiful poster collected at our State’s annual Farm Show – one of the Vermont Farm Show booths was giving these posters away.


The poster depicted a full-color photograph of Mt Mansfield, from the north side…


Many moons later, three years ago now, I moved "by accident" to the exact location to see the same view on our old outhouse Farm Show poster!


After doing everything I could to stay where I'd rented a small room for ten months and really enjoyed the community, all doors closed - the hand-writing was on the wall - I had to move on, once again. 


My brother encouraged me before I moved. He said God would provide a more beautiful location for me. I had a hard time believing this was possible...but he was right!


I was told of an elderly lady with six dogs, a spare room and “a great view”. But was still a little blown away when I first saw the view. 


I've climbed Mt. Mansfield in the past and now this view was a huge blessing to me…I am grateful for the years I enjoyed it, in all seasons and weather!


I hope you will enjoy seeing photographs of now my old home, too.


Make yourself a Vision Board! I will be looking for more beautiful truths, ideas, places and views to gaze on.


With Reverence for all things truly beautiful,


Elise

 

A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.”

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


 “While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.” ~ Genesis 8:22


                                               Spring





                                                               Summer

































  Autumn





Winter













 

“My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings.

Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart.

For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh.

Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.

Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee.

Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee.

Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established.

Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil.

~ Proverbs 4:20-27

 

“Therefore shall ye lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul, and bind them for a sign upon your hand, that they may be as frontlets between your eyes. And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. And thou shalt write them upon the door posts of thine house, and upon thy gates: That your days may be multiplied, and the days of your children, in the land which the Lord sware unto your fathers to give them, as the days of heaven upon the earth.” ~ Dueteronomy 11:18-21

 

Finally, brethren,

whatsoever things are true,

whatsoever things are honest,

whatsoever things are just,

whatsoever things are pure,

whatsoever things are lovely,

whatsoever things are of good report;

if there be any virtue,

and if there be any praise,

think on these things.

Those things,

which ye have both learned,

and received,

and heard,

and seen in me,

do:

and the God of peace shall be with you.

~ Philippians 4:8-9



 

He Leadeth Me

He leadeth me: O blessed thought!
O words with heavenly comfort fraught!
Whate'er I do, where'er I be,
still 'tis God's hand that leadeth me.

Refrain:
He leadeth me, he leadeth me;
by his own hand he leadeth me:
his faithful follower I would be,
for by his hand he leadeth me.

Sometimes mid scenes of deepest gloom,
sometimes where Eden's flowers bloom,
by waters calm, o'er troubled sea,
still 'tis God's hand that leadeth me.

Lord, I would clasp thy hand in mine,
nor ever murmur nor repine;
content, whatever lot I see,
since 'tis my God that leadeth me.

And when my task on earth is done,
when, by thy grace, the victory's won,
e'en death's cold wave I will not flee,
since God through Jordan leadeth me.

 

Written by Joseph Henry Gilmore in 1862, at the age of 28.

Set to music by famous composer William Bradbury in 1864.

Based on Psalm 23:2,3

  

Blogger Template by Clairvo