The Importance of Greyed Tones in Painting and in Life


Imagine you paint with only clear, bright primary colors. 

That's fine, but not very realistic. 

If you desire a painted scene to really look like it does in "real life", you must learn to mix and paint many other shades of color than just the bright primary colors of blue, yellow and red.

And you have to learn to mix greys. 

There are yellow greys, blue greys, brown greys, green grays, purple greys...there are simply LOTS of greys! 

Begin to notice these greys as you live your everyday life. Thank God for them.


Life is Full of Darks and Lights, Ups and Downs


Now try to imagine your life with all sunny days, no problems and no trials.

You have a perfect body, it never gets ill, old or injured.

Imagine music with only high, clear notes. Or only low notes.

Imagine food with only ONE flavoring. 

Or a kitchen after you've made a large meal and been cooking for two hours.

Imagine children or a spouse who always understands what you say, the first time you say it.

Imagine a world with no grey days...

You would miss those misty, foggy days, where the landscape comes alive with values and depth!

And you would not notice the contrast that sunny days then give when they come!

You would miss the lessons and character-building trials are meant to give us.


The Purpose of Greys


Variety and hard things enter into all of our lives because we do not live in a perfect world. 

We all die at some time, physically, even though we live spiritually forever.

We live in a world that is full of shadows, of "missing the mark" and of looking toward what we would prefer to experience. 

We all generally hope for Heaven's perfection, a "happily ever after" and a world without tears and sorrow.

Our Father does promise us this life in Him, but we have to get through the "greys" here. And it's best when we can joyfully accept them and rejoice!

Greys and muddy colors add greater depth and help the brighter shades stand out and come forward, in both painting and life.


Don't Be Afraid to Make a Mess on Your Palette


Many people who don't paint probably don't realize how messy creating a painting is. 

Anytime you make something, prepare to get messy. 

Relationships are messy. 

Birthing babies is messy. 

Building houses is messy.

Digging ditches is messy. 

Gardening is super messy.

Even making clothing is messy - bits of fabric, interfacing, elastic, thread rolling around...

Don't think you will be a creative without making some messes! And EVERYONE is a Creative. We ALL create with our words, with our body language, and with our attitudes.


That "Look"


So, this post is VERY short, but I've been thinking of the "look" a friend gave me, when I went into her shop a few weeks ago, with my messy palette, to fix a few details on some commissioned pieces. 

She looked down at my very dirty palette and then I saw her STARE at me. 

Well, I'm only assuming I knew her thoughts - that I wasn't very neat. 

While I always begin works with a clean palette and a clean studio, it doesn't end that way. 

My palette becomes very dirty...as does my dresser, etc. when I am focusing on a large painting project. It's like I can't focus on anything else when I'm really "stuck in".

I didn't tell her I was in the midst of painting the painting below, "O Give Thanks", and that I really needed all those grey shades! 

I had had to mix a lot of purples and brown hues...

So, I did what was needed and went home...but her look made me think about painting, the mess you make on your palette in order to create beauty on paper or canvas, and how important grey IS.

I hope you enjoy this painting progression below, and my dirty palette photo. 

It's dirty because I've invested the last three weeks in another large detailed scene (not the scene below) - to be shown in the future!

May your 2020 be full of good lessons and contrasts, so that the music of your work sings with reality, true expression, and depth!

Your painting friend,
Elise













O Give Thanks, 12x21 watercolor, December 2019
Psalm 136


  1. P. S. This Hymn, below, came to my mind and heart strongly today. 

  2. It's interesting to realize that Light is always contrasted with Darkness in this world. 

  3. Would Good News be able to be recognized if we didn't have Bad News? 

  4. I am grateful for the Gospel, the Good News which Jesus Christ came to share: that because of His sacrifice we can accept the great gift of an eternal life in a perfected place, with a perfect Savior, where no one will want or need to cry, grieve or sorrow!



  1. Stepping in the Light

    Eliza E. Hewitt, pub.1890


  2. Trying to walk in the steps of the Savior,
    Trying to follow our Savior and King;
    Shaping our lives by His blessed example,
    Happy, how happy, the songs that we bring.
    • Refrain:
      How beautiful to walk in the steps of the Savior,
      Stepping in the light, stepping in the light,
      How beautiful to walk in the steps of the Savior,
      Led in paths of light.
  3. Pressing more closely to Him Who is leading,
    When we are tempted to turn from the way;
    Trusting the arm that is strong to defend us,
    Happy, how happy, our praises each day.
  4. Walking in footsteps of gentle forbearance,
    Footsteps of faithfulness, mercy, and love,
    Looking to Him for the grace freely promised,
    Happy, how happy, our journey above.
  5. Trying to walk in the steps of the Savior,
    Upward, still upward, we follow our Guide;
    When we shall see Him, “the King in His beauty,”
    Happy, how happy, our place at His side.


"See, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind. But be glad and rejoice forever in what I will create, for I will create Jerusalem to be a delight and its people a joy. I will rejoice over Jerusalem and take delight in my people; the sound of weeping and of crying will be heard in it no more. "Never again will there be in it an infant who lives but a few days, or an old man who does not live out his years; the one who dies at a hundred will be thought a mere child; the one who fails to reach a hundred will be considered accursed. They will build houses and dwell in them; they will plant vineyards and eat their fruit. No longer will they build houses and others live in them, or plant and others eat. For as the days of a tree, so will be the days of my people; my chosen ones will long enjoy the work of their hands. They will not labor in vain, nor will they bear children doomed to misfortune; for they will be a people blessed by the LORD, they and their descendants with them. Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear. The wolf and the lamb will feed together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox, and dust will be the serpent's food. They will neither harm nor destroy on all my holy mountain," says the LORD." ~ Isaiah 65:17-25

If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable. But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming. Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. ~ I Corinthians 15:19-25

James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
Psalm 91:1 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
Psalm 36:7 How priceless is your unfailing love, O God! People take refuge in the shadow of your wings.
Psalm 57:1 Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in you I take refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed.
Praise the LORD for the greys and shadows!!



Blogger Template by Clairvo